White House Wants ISPs to Turn Over Records

WASHINGTON — The Bush Administration on Friday filed a motion in federal appeals court seeking the power to force Internet service providers to hand over information on customers — and barring them from telling customers they have done so.

Under the Patriot Act of 2001, investigative agencies were granted the ability to secretly demand customer data records from ISPs.

But a district judge last year barred such investigations, saying that because the investigated party would have no knowledge of the investigation, there would be no way they could challenge it.

On Friday, the White House asked a New York appellate court to overturn the ruling.

The filing came just one day after the Senate Intelligence Committee held a closed-door meeting to discuss another measure that civil libertarians are calling a major threat to individual rights.

The proposal would allow the FBI to subpoena records in intelligence investigations without the consent or approval of a judge or grand jury.

Such administrative subpoenas would require the approval of FBI Director Robert Mueller or his senior aides, and the White House would have to report to Congress twice each year on how the subpoenas are being used.

“The government has not made a compelling case that such extraordinarily broad powers are necessary, as it ought to when precious civil liberties are involved,” attorney Anita Ramasastry said.

The Intelligence Committee failed to come to a conclusion on the issue, and debate cannot continue until after Congress’ Memorial Day recess ends June 7.

In all, 16 provisions of the Patriot Act are set to expire this December. The Bush Administration has said it would like Congress to renew all provisions and, in some cases, such as the “administrative subpoenas,” expand them.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More