Killings of Adult Site Operators Raises Questions

MANILA, Philippines — Two Dutch nationals who ran a pair of adult websites were gunned down by police this week during a raid on their offices in the Philippines, despite the fact that no law exists barring such sites.

Brothers Willen and Hendrikus Von Engelburg both died while being treated for gunshot wounds at a nearby medical center, police said.

The two men had been under investigation for operating “cybersex dens” that broadcast web feeds of models engaged in sexual activity to U.S.-based subscribers of two paysites.

Earlier this year, Filipino President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declared an all-out war against Internet pornography and called on the public to report suspected operations of the so-called cybersex dens to the police.

Because there are no laws in the Philippines specifically forbidding the operation of adult sites, authorities often claim that site operators have forced models to perform and prosecute them for illegal sex trafficking.

Renaldo Jaylo, head of the task force leading the investigation that culminated in the raid, told reporters that the Dutch men kept their sites’ models as sex slaves and forced them at gun point to perform, and that the raid was an effort to rescue the women from sex slavery.

Records showed, however, that the women had been paid roughly $1,000 per month.

Jaylo also said police were forced into a gun fight when the brothers drew .45-caliber pistols and opened fire on them.

“They fought back with the guns they use to scare women into working for them,” he said.

Police seized computers, cameras and sex toys from the house. Hendrikus’ wife, Veronica, and another associate, Edward Lagutan, were arrested.

The Philippine government has come under fire for alleged corruption and human rights violation, which critics say rival those of the notorious Marcos regime.

In particular, the Philippines' national journalists' union has accused the government of “extra-judicial killings” to eliminate its enemies.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More