S.C. Won’t File Charges in Nude Image Probe

COLUMBIA, S.C. — State Attorney General Henry McMaster announced that his office will not file charges against two officials from the Department of Corrections who used state computers to view and send nude pictures.

McMaster said that while the pictures probably would be considered offensive by some people, they do not meet the state’s standard for what is considered legally obscene.

“If these are obscene then everything on the news stands and convenience stores around the state would equally have to be declared obscene,” McMaster said. “The materials were very amateur in their quality, but they do not rise to the level of obscenity under South Carolina law.”

Under state law, the definition of “obscene” is very similar to the Miller test for obscenity under federal law. As it is defined under the S.C. statute, material is deemed to be obscene only if an “average person applying contemporary community standards” would find that the material “depicts or describes in a patently offensive way sexual conduct,” and that the “material taken as a whole appeals to the prurient interest in sex … lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value and the material as used is not otherwise protected or privileged,” under the U.S. or S.C. constitutions.

McMaster’s investigation began in May, after he received a letter from state Sen. Mike Fair asking McMaster’s office to investigate allegations that pornography was being viewed and exchanged by DOC officials.

Investigators examined six computers, including two hard drives that had been completely erased. Technicians managed to recover the erased data, and discovered that most of the data had been mundane office documents, with the occasional nude image interspersed in the mix of files.

Only two DOC officials were found to have actually emailed images to other people within the department, according to McMasters. Some of those that received the images showed them to other people in the office, but McMaster said his office has heard no allegations that any individuals were forced to view the images, or that images were sent to people who did not want to see them.

DOC director John Ozmint said his department hoped to put “this unfortunate chapter in the past.”

“The attorney general’s decision upholds what we knew from the beginning — that this was a misuse of government property that deserved internal discipline, not criminal charges,” Ozmint said. “Long before this decision was rendered, the [DOC] took steps to discipline those involved.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More