Texas Strip Club Tax Initiative Upheld

AUSTIN — Attempts to block a state-imposed $5 fee on Texas gentlements club admissions — slated to go into effect Jan. 1 — so far have failed.

District Judge Scott Jenkins refused to block the tax from going into effect, paving the way for a lawsuit that seeks to prove the unconstitutionality of the tariff, which plaintiffs contend is discriminatory, suppresses their right to free speech and endangers the survival of many affected businesses.

The tax initiative, previously reported by XBIZ, is intended by officials to raise an estimated $50 million annually, funds that they claim are earmarked to offset rising health care expenses for Texas’ uninsured residents — regardless of their citizenship status — and to finance sexual assault prevention programs.

"It looks like we proceed to trial," said Peter Nolan, a lawyer for the Texas Entertainment Association, representing businesses affected by the tax.

A trial date is expected to be set after Jenkins rules on the plaintiffs’ legal standing and ability to sue the state.

"They are some very worthy causes that are going to be funded," plaintiffs attorney Douglas Becker said. "[But] a worthy cause does not justify a content-based tax."

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and state Comptroller Susan Combs submitted a legal brief to the court, stating that the fee "does not prohibit nude dancing, does not dictate where live nude entertainment may be presented, does not require any minimum clothing and does not govern the physical setting for the activity."

Even though the state does not specify how the $5-per-customer fee should be collected, most club owners are expected to collect it as part of a cover charge.

Amarillo club operator Chandra Brown, one of the plaintiffs in the suit, testified how the increased fees, which would have to be passed on to customers, would negatively impact her business by driving patrons away. "They can't afford it," Brown said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

WSST Partners With OEJ to Launch 'Cristal Collection'

We Sell Sex Toys (WSST) has partnered with Our Erotic Journey (OEJ), adding the Cristal Collection to its curated catalog of pleasure products.

E-Stim Introduces 'The Slider' System

E-Stim Systems has introduced The Slider insertable electrode system.

Orion Expands 'Bad Kitty' Line

Orion Wholesale has added two new chain collars to its Bad Kitty collection of fetish accessories.

Eldorado Releases 2026 Lingerie Catalog

Eldorado Trading Co. has released its 2026 Lingerie Catalog.

Pipedream Names Sunny Winkleman Account Executive

Pipedream Products has appointed Sunny Winkleman as its new account executive.

Nexus Expands 'Ascend' Line

Nexus has expanded its Ascend collection with the new Extreme thrusting and rotating massager.

Blush Expands 'Performance' Line With 3 New Penis Extender Sleeves

Blush has expanded its Performance collection with three new extender sleeves.

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Show More