Domain Name Owner Must Give Up Site, WIPO Rules

GENEVA — In a case of particular interest to domain name owners, the World Intellectual Property Organization ruled last month that the registrant of WalMartFacts.biz must hand over his site to the retail giant.

Taking its case to WIPO, which arbitrates Internet intellectual property cases, Wal-Mart succeeded against Jeff Milchen, who has been "long critical" of the company.

A WIPO panelist decided in the case that Milchen’s domain name is “confusingly similar to [Wal-Mart’s] registered trademark and that an intent to post critical commentary on a website does not translate into fair use of the domain name.”

WIPO, which ultimately ruled that Milchen registered and used the domain in bad faith, said that the "prospect of posting critical commentary at some future time" is needed to refute the trademark owner's claim that the registrant lacks "rights or legitimate interests" in the domain name.

Contesting it has trademark registrations in 46 companies and that it already owns WalMartFacts.com, the retailer could not establish bad faith under any of the four non-exclusive factors of the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy. But WIPO found bad faith in other circumstances.

WalMartFacts.biz lacked original content, and Milchen merely copied material from Wal-Mart's site but added nothing of his own, the court determined.

The court also found that Milchen had actual and constructive knowledge of the Wal-Mart’s trademark before he registered the domain and that he bore ill will toward the retailer, as demonstrated by his history of criticism of the company.

Milchen also incorporated the entire trademark in the domain name, the court said.

“We believe the WIPO judge decided wrongly,” Milche told XBiz. “One reason is that Walmart's claim and the WIPO ruling was based largely on the fact that the site did not yet have content as of the ruling.

“Walmart initiated the domain grab just three weeks after registration. I was preparing material to post, but could not afford to spend the money to launch the site — I was contracting a web designer — knowing that it could be taken away.”

After the ruling, Milchen said that he may appeal the case if “a sponsor is willing to fund it.”

“I'll soon decided whether to try a different domain or simply add the content to ReclaimDemocracy.org/walmart, already perhaps the most comprehensive information source on the corporation,”Milchen said. “Directing ReclaimDemocracy.org, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to restoring citizen authority over corporations, is my "day job." The case is Wal-Mart Stores Inc. vs. Milchen, No. D2005-0130.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More