Va. Prosecutor: Paul Cambria Should Be Disqualified

STAUNTON, Va. — Prosecutor Raymond C. Robertson has filed papers seeking to disqualify 1st Amendment attorney Paul J. Cambria Jr. and two of his associates as cocounsel to defend After Hours Video against obscenity charges that were filed Nov. 1.

After Hours Video owner Rick Krial's attorney Tate Love last week filed a motion with the Staunton Circuit Court to allow the addition of Buffalo, N.Y.-based Cambria to the defense team.

"The Commonwealth has reason to believe that the legal fee of the aforesaid Buffalo, N.Y., attorney is being paid by a third party and not by the defendant," Robertson wrote.

Robertson said that if Cambria and his associates are being supported by the adult industry, based on past case law, Krial will have an argument for appeal if convicted.

Robertson also claimed that any plea agreements favorable to Krial would conflict with the interests of a third party from the porn industry, and noted the presence of outside attorneys "allows them to exert strong pressures against the independent judgment of defense attorney Tate Love."

John Pauly, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania-based Adult Freedom Foundation, has disagreed with Robertson's contentions. "He's totally mistaken, because Cambria is 100 percent aboveboard."

Pauly described Cambria as a "bull" in the courtroom.

"He's a giant killer," Pauly said. "The city can expect the fight of their life."

Robertson, a longtime prosecutor in Staunton, has been an opponent of adult material dating back to the 1970s. He has said that he will not "allow dissemination of pornographic material in Staunton" and has threatened arrests, confiscation of inventory and prosecution for anyone selling obscene materials under a Virginia state obscenity statute.

A hearing to determine the question of conflict of interest is scheduled for Nov. 20.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Eldorado Releases 2026 Lingerie Catalog

Eldorado Trading Co. has released its 2026 Lingerie Catalog.

Pipedream Names Sunny Winkleman Account Executive

Pipedream Products has appointed Sunny Winkleman as its new account executive.

Nexus Expands 'Ascend' Line

Nexus has expanded its Ascend collection with the new Extreme thrusting and rotating massager.

Blush Expands 'Performance' Line With 3 New Penis Extender Sleeves

Blush has expanded its Performance collection with three new extender sleeves.

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Orion Debuts 2 New Styles From Cottelli Lingerie

Orion Wholesale has introduced two new styles from its Cottelli Lingerie line.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Show More