City Buys, Knocks Down 30-Year-Old Adult Shop

WARREN, Mich. — The city has purchased Bookworld, an adult store in business for more than 30 years, with the sole intention to knock it down. A spokesman called the decision a "creative" way to restrict adult business.

Mayor Mark Steenbergh said that no one should have to live near an adult shop like Bookworld, according to the Detroit Free Press

"This place has attracted perverts and weirdos for over 30 years," he said. "It is located adjacent to one of the oldest neighborhoods in Warren."

City spokesman Joe Munem said that the plan to rid the city of Bookworld by purchasing it was a decision unique to the city. He also said the city attempted to buy the property a few years ago, but the asking price was out of its budget.

After several weeks of negotiation, a $295,000 price tag was finalized, a number that includes a $20,000 payment to the owner, binding him from opening a similar business in the city.

Funds from the Warren Tax Increment Finance Authority, the city's financial assessment department, reportedly were used to make the purchase.

The City Council last year approved an ordinance banning adult stores from downtown, and after Bookworld is demolished, there only will be one adult-oriented business left in the area.

It is unclear if this business also will be targeted by the city.

This isn't the first time the city has purchased a property in order to shut it down — a rundown strip mall was purchased in 2004, knocked down and now is the location of several city offices, including the Macomb County Health Department.

Munem said that Steenbergh has made this method of city development a priority.

"We've tried to take creative approaches," Munem said.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

WSST Partners With OEJ to Launch 'Cristal Collection'

We Sell Sex Toys (WSST) has partnered with Our Erotic Journey (OEJ), adding the Cristal Collection to its curated catalog of pleasure products.

E-Stim Introduces 'The Slider' System

E-Stim Systems has introduced The Slider insertable electrode system.

Orion Expands 'Bad Kitty' Line

Orion Wholesale has added two new chain collars to its Bad Kitty collection of fetish accessories.

Eldorado Releases 2026 Lingerie Catalog

Eldorado Trading Co. has released its 2026 Lingerie Catalog.

Pipedream Names Sunny Winkleman Account Executive

Pipedream Products has appointed Sunny Winkleman as its new account executive.

Nexus Expands 'Ascend' Line

Nexus has expanded its Ascend collection with the new Extreme thrusting and rotating massager.

Blush Expands 'Performance' Line With 3 New Penis Extender Sleeves

Blush has expanded its Performance collection with three new extender sleeves.

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Show More