Senate Ban on Internet Taxes Passes House

WASHINGTON — The House of Representatives today unanimously approved the seven-year ban on Internet access taxes passed by the Senate last week.

The extension must be signed by President Bush before the current moratorium ends Thursday, or it will expire.

The Internet tax moratorium originally was passed in 1998, and this is the third time it has been extended. The House passed a four-year extension on Oct. 16, but senators who wanted a permanent ban passed a seven-year bill last week, sending the seven-year bill back to the House.

"By extending the ban on Internet access taxes for a longer period of time, we give businesses the certainty they need to spend billions of dollars to construct, maintain and update the broadband Internet infrastructure throughout the country," said Rep. Anna G. Eshoo, D-Calif., whose district includes much of Silicon Valley in Northern California. "This legislation will help keep the cost of Internet access down so that all individuals will continue to use the great informational tool that is the Internet."

Eshoo was among the lawmakers who supported a permanent ban, which also was supported by Internet companies such as Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc., and Internet service providers including AT&T Inc., Verizon Communications Inc. and Time Warner Inc.

But local and state governments pushed for the extension to only be temporary, arguing that Congress might need to adjust the legislation in the future as more services move to the Internet.

The bill states that services like telephone and TV provided over the Internet are not exempted from taxes. Local and state governments depend on money from such taxes.

Services related to Internet access, such as instant messaging, email and personal online storage, are included in the ban.

"This action came just in the nick of time," said Dorothy Coleman, vice president for tax policy at the National Association of Manufacturers, which along with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and other business trade groups, supported a permanent extension. "American businesses of all sizes rely on high-speed, broadband Internet access to remain competitive in the global marketplace."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More