Jury to Consider 4 Counties in Ray Guhn Case

MILTON, Fla. — A circuit court judge ruled Tuesday that when the Ray Guhn obscenity case heads to trial, the jury must consider community standards of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties in Florida.

Clinton McCowen, AKA Ray Guhn, faces charges on counts of conducting a criminal enterprise by engaging in prostitution and the manufacture and sale of obscene material. McCowen also faces racketeering and money laundering charges predicated on the underlying obscenity charge.

McCowen’s trial is set to begin on May 5. Lawrence Walters, who along with attorney Jerome Mooney is representing McCowen in the case, told XBIZ that he anticipates the trial will run approximately three weeks.

In a ruling issued Tuesday, Judge Ron Swanson held that jurors in the case should base their application of “community standards” under the Miller obscenity test based on the standards of the four panhandle counties, rather than just Santa Rosa county, where prosecutors refiled their charges against McCowen in July, after having originally indicted him in Escambia County.

Walters told XBIZ that the judge’s order was a partial victory for the defense, which had opposed the change of venue to Santa Rosa County.

“This case was filed in Escambia County, and we spent about a year preparing our defense based on the idea that Escambia’s community standards would be the relevant standards, and we thought it was totally inappropriate to move the case over to Santa Rosa,” Walters said.

Walters said that while bringing in the community standards of the entire four-county district was not ideal for defense purposes, it was preferable to having the case limited to the standards of Santa Rosa County alone, as Santa Rosa is considered a more socially conservative area than its neighboring counties.

“We believe that the prosecutorial maneuver of changing the venue to Santa Rosa has been eliminated,” Walters said. “As the court has ruled that the jury must consider the standards of all four counties, we can now go back and show them the materials we collected related to the standards of Escambia after all.”

While the court rejected all of the defense motions to dismiss the case, Walters said that he believes the court erred significantly in one area, and may have set the stage for an eventual appeal, should an appeal become necessary.

Earlier this month, Walters filed a motion to strike the obscenity charges from the indictment, arguing that that Florida’s obscenity laws do not apply to Internet-based materials. Swanson rejected that argument, but Walters said that he believes a higher court likely would disagree with Swanson’s ruling.

“I do not see how the Florida statute applies to the Internet at all,” Walters said, adding that the statute has been amended several times, and the Florida legislature had ample opportunity to include Internet-based obscenity under the statute and has never done so.

Walters called Swanson’s rejection of his statutory argument “a built-in appellate point” and said that the defense team now has moved on to considering what sort of evidence they can present at trial.

“This is a terribly complex case,” Walters said. “There will be some 50 or 60 witnesses, so we are already actively taking depositions.”

In addition to McCowen, Andrew Craft, Kevin Stevens, William Beach, Jane Dreka and Thomas Dwyer all face charges connected to the case.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Show More