Home > News > U.S. Dismisses All Obscenity Charges Against JM Productions • Bookmark   • Newsletters   • Register Search Options

NEWS STORY

U.S. Dismisses All Obscenity Charges Against JM Productions

Prosecutor dropped charges due to a lack of evidence that JM sold the videos to Five Star Video; charges remain pending against Five Star.
U.S. Dismisses All Obscenity Charges Against JM Productions
Get XBIZ News
XBIZ Research
Will virtual reality headsets like the Oculus Rift revolutionize adult entertainment?
Yes
  53.72%
No
  46.28%
Out of 121 votes. Results based on votes submitted by members of XBIZ.net social network.
Oct 16, 2007 5:00 PM PST    Text size: 
PHOENIX — XBIZ has confirmed that all obscenity charges against JM Productions and owner Jeff Steward were dropped in federal court today.

“The only official statement that we made was that charges were dropped,” JM Publicist Tony Malice told XBIZ. “I don't have much detail; that's basically all we know or can talk about.”

Malice did say that the charges were dropped by the government because of lack of evidence and that officials didn't feel there was enough of a case to pursue.

Ohio-based Louis H. Sirkin, attorney for JM, confirmed that the charges had been dropped, and quipped that the government had “recognized the superiority of counsel, and that they could not beat the firm of Sirkin, Pinales and Schwartz.”

“The government has dropped the charges against JM and Jeff Steward, acknowledging that they had insufficient evidence to show that our client had sold the videos [to Five Star],” Sirkin said.

Sirkin said that Kenneth Witten, the Justice Department prosecutor handling the case, moved to drop the charges after jury selection was completed. Asked if the move came as a surprise, Sirkin said that “it was our anticipation that the government would have trouble providing sufficient evidence against our client.”

”We did what we were supposed to do as lawyers,” Sirkin said. “We knew more about the law than the government did.”

Al Gelbard, attorney for Steward, told XBIZ he was “very pleased that the government couldn't make a case.”

“To their credit once the jury was in panel they realized that and they dismissed against us,” Gelbard said.

Charges are still pending against Five Star Video, Sirkin said, adding, “they are in good hands with Jeffrey Douglas” and the rest of their defense team.

Five Star faces obscenity charges connected with the distribution of the titles “Filthy Things 6,” “Gag Factor 15,” “Gag Factor 18” and “American Bukkake 13.”

As reported previously, the government has overseen the sale of the same videos in administering the business of Castle Megastores following that company’s declaration of bankruptcy.

Speaking at the XBIZ Summer Forum in July , Douglas called the government’s sale of the indicted videos “the kind of thing that defense attorneys dream about happening to them.”

Gelbard told XBIZ that Douglas and the rest of the Five Star defense team also can count on continuing assistance from the attorneys for JM.

“The sad fact is that they're continuing on against Five Star,” Gelbard said. “I think they've got a very good chance of being acquitted and we're going to do everything we can to help them.”

Douglas was unavailable for comment at press time.

More ways to get XBIZ News:  RSS Feeds  |  E-Newsletters  |  Desktop Widget  |  Mobile
Looking for porn star news and behind-the-scene videos? Check out XFANZ.com !

LEGAL PERSPECTIVES

Ask the Attorneys: What Lies Around the Corner in 2015?

Corey Silverstein Last year I predicted that 2014 would not be the year that the adult industry saw a conclusion to the Free Speech Coalition’s battle with the U.S. Government regarding 18 U.S.C.... More »

Legal Reality: Texas Kickstarts New Crowdfunding Era

Well, it’s the beginning of 2015 and the Securities and Exchange Commission still has not finalized long-awaited federal crowdfunding rules. The SEC is now nearly two full years past the congressionally... More »

Measure B — Is the Sky Falling?

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has approved the denial of interim injunctive relief that would have stopped enforcement of Measure B, Los Angeles county’s condom requirement for adult motion... More »
XBIZ NEWSLETTERS
Stay informed of the latest industry developments. Get XBIZ newsletters delivered to your inbox. Subscribe today!
Enter email address:

* To manage existing subscriptions click here.






POPULAR PRODUCTS & SERVICES
Submit your press release to
multiple news outlets with 1 click.
Subscribe to RSS news feeds or
add free content to your website.
Access XBIZ news and articles
with your mobile device.
Subscribe to XBIZ World magazine, the industry's leading e-commerce trade publication, delivering in-depth coverage of the online, mobile and ancillary digital markets.

UPCOMING EVENTS

The European Summit

Mar 07 - Mar 11
Barcelona-Sitges, Spain

The Phoenix Forum

Mar 25 - Mar 29
Tempe, Arizona

International Lingerie Show

Mar 30 - Apr 01
Las Vegas, Nevada

Bizpowa.com's Feel Like Home

Apr 11 - Apr 11
Paris, France
Everyday thousands of business professionals browse XBIZ's industry directory for quality products and services. Not listed yet? Your company could be losing potential new business. Submit your company today!
Use XBIZ RSS feeds to stay informed of the latest industry developments or as a content syndication tool for your website!