House Votes to Renew Ban on Internet Access Tax

WASHINGTON — The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a four-year extension of a moratorium on state and local taxes on Internet access by a vote of 405-2 on Tuesday.

The moratorium would continue to forbid state and local governments from taxing Internet access, including DSL, cable modem and Blackberry-type wireless transmission services.

The tax ban, which was first passed in 1998, was set to expire on Nov. 1. The extension that just passed exempts states that had approved taxes prior to the original enactment.

A bill that would make the ban permanent was reintroduced in the Senate last week.

"This bill is pro-consumer, pro-innovation and pro-technology," said Rep. Mel Watt, D-N.C., one of the bill's sponsors. Watt noted the bill also will allow lawmakers to make changes as needed, as has occurred the two times the moratorium has been extended since 1998.

Another bill that would make the moratorium permanent has 238 House co-sponsors. Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said a permanent ban would ensure that businesses would continue to invest in the Internet and keep access affordable for users.

The bill must be passed by the Senate and signed by the president to become law. In late September, a bill that would have extended the moratorium for four years was removed from consideration by the Senate Commerce Committee.

The bill is HR 3678.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More