Kansas Grand Jury Drops Obscenity Charges

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — A business indicted for obscenity last month has been cleared of charges in Johnson County District Court after the district attorney's office signed an order to dismiss the case.

Spirit Halloween, a nationwide chain affiliated with Spencer Gifts stores, was charged with four counts of obscenity Sept. 26 for selling four adult costumes that allegedly were harmful to minors.

This indictment was one of three that were the result of a citizen's petition initiated in July by the Kansas City chapter of the National Coalition for the Protection of Children & Families to investigate adult businesses of promoting obscenity.

Defense attorney Tyler Garretson told the Kansas City Star that he was surprised when he received a copy of the indictment and immediately worked with Spirit Halloween to correct the problem.

“We immediately took our own steps … and removed the costumes that were complained of and put them in a separated back portion of the store," Garretson said. "We’ve kind of corrected whatever the perceived problem was through our own actions and once we were able to demonstrate that to the district attorney’s office they agreed to dismiss the indictment against us.”

Obscenity indictments on the other two stores still stand — Hollywood at Home and Priscilla's — both for “unlawfully and knowingly or recklessly” possessing and intending to sell allegedly obscene DVDs. The business owners are expected to appear in court today.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Orion Debuts 2 New Styles From Cottelli Lingerie

Orion Wholesale has introduced two new styles from its Cottelli Lingerie line.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Magic Silk Expands 'Exposed' Line With 'Sinful' Collection

Magic Silk has expanded its Exposed line of lingerie with the Sinful collection.

Inside the Impact of New AV Laws on Sex Toy Ecommerce

Over the past few years, age verification (AV) has gone from a niche policy discussion to a very real, very immediate concern for anyone operating in the adult space.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Orion Debuts New Styles From 'Svenjoyment' Line

Orion Wholesale has released three new styles from its Svenjoyment undergarment line.

Show More