Court Orders ISP to ID Party Responsible in Email Fraud Case

PORTLAND, Maine — In a legal groundbreaking case, Maine’s highest court ordered last week that an Internet service provider must disclose identifying information about a subscriber who is alleged to have misappropriated the identity of an account holder.

In the decision, the Maine Supreme Court upheld a lower court determination that a victim of forged email has the right to unmask the identity and sue the person responsible for sending a derogatory message to his neighbors.

The ruling is important because it is the first time a court has made a definitive ruling on “electronic harassment.”

A lower court ruled last May that Time Warner Cable must furnish information relating to the identity of the person who established an email account using the name Ronald Fitch.

The email was a bogus Christmas card that included a cartoon satirizing a dispute between Fitch and his neighbors. The card included offensive caricatures of his family, Fitch said.

The email was sent on Dec. 24, 2003, to the board of directors of the gated community where Fitch resides.

Fitch filed a “John or Jane Doe” suit, alleging fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, criminal simulation and identity theft.

The lawyer for Doe appealed the decision to the state high court contesting the lower court's finding that Doe had authorized Time Warner to release his or her identity to a court, arguing that no criminal activity has been shown.

But Justice Howard H. Dana rejected the rationale relied upon by the lower court — that Doe consented to disclosure when he accepted the company's subscriber privacy policy — and instead found that the "plain language" of the federal Cable Act "allows a cable operator to disclose subscriber information when ordered to do so by a court."

Section 551(c)(2)(B) of the Act allows the release of personally identifiable information "made pursuant to a court order authorizing such disclosure, if the subscriber is notified of such order by the person to whom the order is directed."

Time Warner responded to the lower court's order by submitting to the court a sealed envelope containing the information it had about Doe.

Doe argued that the court should apply stricter requirements of the Act that prohibit government entities from obtaining personally identifiable information without clear and convincing evidence of criminal activity.

But Maine justices said those requirements apply only to governmental bodies, not to individuals like Fitch.

The court rejected Fitch's argument that Doe had consented to disclosure, finding Fitch failed to produce a consent agreement, or any evidence, affidavits, or testimony establishing the authenticity of his arguments relating to the agreement Time Warner requires its subscribers to accept.

Justices also bypassed Doe's opposition to disclosure on First Amendment grounds, ruling that Doe had never raised the argument at the trial court level.

The case is Fitch vs. Doe, No. Cum-04-295.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More