Senator Who Targeted Pay-TV Now Aims at Online Adult

WASHINGTON — Sen. Ted Stevens, the Republican from Alaska who is attempting to pave way for regulators to have the right to regulate content on pay-TV stations, has expanded his target to limit free speech.

This time it is the Internet.

The chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation indicated that Internet decency regulations could be inserted into legislation that was originally intended to boost fines for radio and TV broadcasts that are deemed obscene.

"We ought to find some way to say, 'Here is a block of channels —— whether it's delivered by broadband, by VoIP, by whatever it is — to a home that is clear of the stuff you don't want your children to see,'" said Stevens, who noted he was in favor of a ratings system.

“We're looking to create tiers, or create a system like the movie business ... to let us develop a ratings system," he said.

Earlier this month at the National Association of Broadcasters' annual state leadership convention, Stevens said that because most people receive their TV via cable or satellite, the government has the power to regulate indecency. At the conference, Stevens said he would target video-on-demand and pay-per-view in future legislation, as well.

Last year, Stevens co-authored a letter to the Federal Trade Commission asking that peer-to-peer networks be investigated because they provide access to online adult material.

A first wave of Internet decency wars took place nearly 10 years ago, when Congress enacted the Communications Decency Act, which punished the transmission of indecent or "patently offensive" material with up to two years in prison and fines of $250,000.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 1997 rejected those portions of the law, but didn't comment about the constitutionality of a law that would require certain types of web publishers to rate sexually explicit sites through a mechanism like the Platform for Internet Content Selection, which is built into the Internet Explorer browser.

Calls to Stevens and his aides by XBiz weren’t returned Tuesday evening.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More