Zicari: ‘They Picked the Wrong One to Challenge’

EDITOR’S NOTE: An in-depth look at the government’s case against Extreme Associates can be read in the March edition of XBiz World. Subscribe here.

CHATSWORTH, Calif. — Attorney General Alberto Gonzales may be firm about his agency’s commitment to seek out and prosecute purveyors of obscene materials, but Extreme Associates co-owner Robert Zicari is determined to come out on top once his case is settled by the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

“I’m a fighter,” Zicari told XBiz in an exclusive interview. “And I think they picked the wrong one to challenge.”

Zicari, wife Janet Romano and their company, Extreme Associates Inc., were charged with violating obscenity laws in a 10-count indictment.

The case, however, was dismissed last month by U.S. District Judge Gary Lancaster of Pittsburgh. Lancaster ruled federal prosecutors overstepped their bounds while trying to block the company's hardcore movies from children and from adults who did not want to see such material.

But the government has appealed that ruling, and the 3rd Circuit has not yet decided whether to take the case.

Zicari, also known as Rob Black, said that it was obvious that the government would appeal the case because “there is so much riding on the government’s target — obscenity.”

“I think [the Justice Department] got a lot of heat when the judge threw the case out. Their case backfired,” Zicari said. “This case in not in the government’s favor. I think that the 3rd Circuit is apt to favor us. The [government] is the longshot — the odds are stacked up against them.”

Zicari said that because of the pending U.S. appeal, he doesn’t foresee any obscenity charges to be leveled against adult webmasters any time soon.

“The industry is safe for now,” Zicari said. “You won’t see many prosecutions of adult companies until my case goes down the pipeline.”

Meanwhile, Chatsworth, Calif.-based Extreme Associates’ business is looking up, he said.

“Business is great — even in the midst of this,” Zicari said. “In fact, it has kept the fire going with all of this renewed publicity.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Clémence Audiard, Leya Desantis Star in Latest From MixedX

Clémence Audiard and Leya Desantis star in the latest release from MixedX, titled "Possessed by You."

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Meagan Moore Performs Her 1st Girl/Girl Scene for Bellesa Plus

Meagan Moore has performed in her first girl/girl scene alongside Violet Starr and Ryan Driller in the latest release from Bellesa Plus, titled “You Deserve This.”

Britt Ramsey Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Britt Ramsey stars with her husband Chad and multi-XMAs winner Alex Jones in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Hailey Rose Talks New 'Titwoman' Showcase for Elegant Angel

Keisha Gray, Angela White, Octavia Red, and Blake Blossom. These are the well-endowed women who have played the character of "Titwoman" for Elegant Angel.

Digital Playground Premieres Ricky Greenwood's Feature Comedy 'In The Bag'

Digital Playground has dropped “In The Bag,” a ‘70s-inspired comedy from multi-XMAs winner Ricky Greenwood.

Jasmine Sherni Performs 1st Gangbang for Brazzers

Jasmine Sherni performs her first gangbang in the latest Brazzers release, "Operation Open Wide."

Carmen Valentina Stars in Latest Release From FreeUse

Carmen Valentina stars in the latest POV release from FreeUse.

Phoenix Marie, Cory Chase Star in Latest From MILFY

Phoenix Marie and Cory Chase star with Dan Damage in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint MILFY.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Show More