BT Stops Blocking Suspected Dialers

LONDON – British telecom giant BT has abandoned its policy of blocking United Kingdom-based phone numbers suspected of being used to defraud customers by installing dialer programs on their computers.

Last June, BT, the largest phone and Internet service provider in the United Kingdom, began proactively blocking certain numbers in response to more than 45,000 complaints from dial-up Internet customers whose PC connections had been hijacked by malware that diverted their usual connections to premium-rate lines.

Users often only realized the switch had been made after receiving bills totaling hundreds of pounds rather than the expected flat rate the company normally charged.

While the company did not forgive the charges, Gavin Patterson, a BT representative, said, “We need to minimize the number of customers being affected as quickly as we can, and we can’t allow any more of our customers to fall victim while the sometimes lengthy investigation process gets underway.”

At the time, BT’s decision to switch to a block-now-ask-questions-later policy received the backing of Britain’s Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services, the body responsible for regulating U.K.-based premium-rate services.

But BT said it now will block numbers only after it has been given explicit authorization from the ICSTIS, which is likely to happen only after the “lengthy investigation process” Patterson mentioned. No further explanation was given for the sudden change in policy. The company will, however, continue to block international numbers suspected of fraud.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Holly Randall Soft Launches 'Wet Ink' Magazine

Holly Randall has officially soft-launched the creator-focused publication Wet Ink Magazine.

Show More