House Panel Votes to Raise Fines for Indecency

WASHINGTON, D.C – The House Energy and Commerce Committee overwhelmingly passed a measure that could dramatically raise fines for broadcast indecency.

The Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act would increase penalties the Federal Communications Commission can levy against broadcasters for airing material deemed inappropriate to a whooping $500,000 per violation — 15 times the current fine limit of $32,000. Stations would also face losing their licenses if found in violation three times.

The bill also proposes to increase fines against individual entertainers from $11,000 to $500,000 per violation.

“We’re gaining ground in our battle against indecency,” said the bill’s co-sponsor, Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), moments after it passed through committee on a 46-2 vote. “The public is on our side, and so is the law.”

Despite Upton’s optimism, the law isn’t on his side quite yet. The bill still must go before the full house for a vote, then make its way through the senate before reaching the president’s desk.

Reps. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), the two dissenting voters, have vowed to try raising opposition against the bill, warning that its passage would threaten the First Amendment.

“We’re heading down a slippery slope when Big Brother is put in charge of what constitutes free speech and artistic expression,” Schakowsky said.

This latest round of indecency legislation was born out of the controversy surrounding last year’s Super Bowl halftime show, in which Janet Jackson breast was partially exposed for several seconds.

The furor over that incident, coupled with the prospect of large, possibly retroactive, fines for indecency, has prompted many broadcasters to institute self-imposed censorship measures.

Fox decided not to re-air a mildly suggestive ad for website GoDaddy.com during the second half of this year’s Super Bowl when it received eight complaints after the commercial’s first airing. And many radio stations carrying the Howard Stern Radio Show cut out large portions of the show to avoid violating the “community standards” clause of existing obscenity laws.

Cable and satellite companies would not be subject to the proposed fines.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More