Supreme Court Sets Date for Grokster Case

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The U.S. Supreme Court will begin hearing oral arguments in MGM v. Grokster, a case that will decide whether peer-to-peer software companies and file-sharing networks are responsible for the actions of end users, on March 29.

Entertainment companies, including the Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America, hope to set a legal precedent that would make P2P companies liable for revenue the entertainment industry claims its losing due to illegal sharing of copyrighted material by P2P products users.

The hearings will be the final step in a series of court cases dating back to 2001. So far, the P2P companies have won victories in both U.S. District Court and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Both lower court rulings were based largely on the Supreme Court’s decision in the 1984 Sony Betamax case, which determined that Sony was not liable for copyright violations committed by users of its Betamax video recorders.

In that case, the court pointed to the fact that Sony’s product also had, and was intended for, legal, noninfringing uses as a deciding factor in its ruling.

But Hollywood argues that the Betamax case doesn’t provide a suitable precedent since Sony had no way of preventing illegal use of its recorders, whereas P2P software developers can code applications to block illegal file sharing.

Fred von Lohmann, senior intellectual property attorney at the Electronic Freedom Foundation, which is helping to defend the P2P companies, said he is confident the Supreme Court will reaffirm the Betamax ruling.

“In 1984, the Supreme Court announced a general rule — that technology companies will not be held responsible for the sins of their customers, so long as the technology in question is capable of noninfringing uses,” von Lohmann told XBiz. “That rule applies today just a much to the makers of P2P software, iPods, CD burners, and TiVos as it did in 1984 to the makers of VCRs.”

“The entertainment industry has been attacking the Betamax principle for several years now in several cases, so I think it is appropriate for the question to be answered by the Supreme Court,” von Lohmann added.

A final ruling in the case is expected by the end of July.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More