Adam & Eve Faces Battle in Florida County

NASSAU COUNTY, Fla. – Adam & Eve, the nation’s largest adult-products mail-order company, faces public opposition — and the threat of legal action — as it plans to open a store in Nassau County, Fla.

At a series of packed hearings earlier this month, county commissioners invited area residents to testify that the shop would be detrimental to the community. The hearings were the first step in a process that County Attorney Michael Mullin said he hopes leads to restrictions that will prevent adult businesses from setting up shop within county lines.

Mullin said the testimony, in which residents cited “studies” showing a rise in crime rates in communities with adult shops, will be used to form a basis for new county ordinances placing narrow restrictions on the sale of adult-oriented material — essentially making it impossible for adult businesses to operate in the area.

But Orlando attorney Lawrence G. Walters, representing the North Carolina-based retail chain, told county commissioners at the hearing that any law aimed at preventing Adam & Eve from doing business will be struck down in court — and cost the county a fortune in legal fees.

“I’m not here to convince you of anything, because my client’s right to start a business has already been established, “ Walter told the audience. He then warned that, by attempting to interfere with that right, Nassau County would “wind up in litigation and paying a large attorney’s fee.”

Walters pointed to his track record of having defended adult business in a dozen similar cases in which municipalities have had to pay millions of dollars to his firm in legal fees.

County commissioners were unfazed.

“I am not going to let this man threaten us,” Commissioner Jim B. Higginbotham said. He then told the audience to “Go home, spread the word, get on your knees and pray.”

At one hearing, local attorney Gary Baker offered to help the county craft a law so tight that it would withstand any challenge in court. “I think it’s time to draw a line in the sand,” said Baker. “I pledge the services of my law firm, free of charge.”

Many of the residents became teary eyed during their testimony, claiming the store would lead children into porn addiction and turn men into sex offenders. One pastor said the store has “a very destructive smell of death” surrounding it. Another made comparisons to the Biblical city of Sodom and Gomorrah.

When Walters tried to rebut the testimony, Mullin told him, “Your three minutes have expired.”

Nassau County Republican Chair Ed Grandy issued a warning to the company developing the shopping center where Adam & Eve plans to locate that it should “take that store and run it out of here. If you don’t run it out, we’ll run it out.”

Baker issued a similar threat, saying he would organize protestors to gather in front of the store “from the time it opens until the time it closes.” He added that he planned to have someone photograph every person entering the store and post the photos on a website and in the local newspaper.

“Adam & Eve’s lawyers have grossly misjudged the determination of the people of this community” to keep the shop from opening, Baker said.

But Walters said Baker and others opposing the store don’t speak for the majority of Nassau County citizens, noting that Adam & Eve’s website has received 2,000 recent orders from addresses in the county.

“That is why my client intends to [locate] here, to satisfy a market need,” he said. “The people of this county are just as interested in romance and sex as just about any other where we’ve represented.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More