32 Child Pornography Suspects Commit Suicide

LONDON — Thirty-two British men arrested in the largest child-porn investigation ever conducted in the United Kingdom have committed suicide, according to statistics revealed by the Association of Chief Police Officers.

The men were caught over the course of Operation Ore, the same investigation which led to the arrest of The Who guitarist Pete Townshend.

“These are very, very emotive, difficult cases to investigate and for those caught up in it the embarrassment and shame can be very high,” Assistant Chief Constable Stuart Hyde told the Daily Mail.

“But we can’t turn a blind eye to these sort of offences,” said Hyde. “Our primary concern is the welfare of children and preventing risk to other people.”

Hyde also pointed out that the police investigations are usually conducted quietly in order to raise as little suspicion as possible among a suspect’s neighbors. Police also refer suspects to websites and hotlines to get help.

“We do ensure that, whenever possible, we treat suspects with dignity and sensitivity,” Hyde said.

Nearly 4,000 British citizens have been arrested during Operation Ore since it was started in 2002. The investigation is part of a joint effort on the part of British and U.S. law enforcement agencies, begun after the FBI discovered credit card information on 250,000 individuals who may have visited a Texas-based pay-per-view child-porn website.

After his arrest in January 2004, Townshend, who said he had been conducting research about child porn when he was caught, expressed similar sentiments as the 32 men who killed themselves.

“If I had had a gun, I would have shot myself,” Townshend said. “And if I had shot myself, it would have been awful because it would have confirmed what everybody thought.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More