Illinois Governor Seeks Stricter Video Game Laws

NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Gov. Rod Blagojevich proposed new laws before the Illinois legislature on Thursday that would outlaw the sale or rental of violent and sexually explicit video games to minors.

The new rules would make it a misdemeanor for anyone to distribute, sell or make available games that depict human-on-human violence or male or female genitals to individuals under the age of 18, punishable by up to one year in prison or a $5,000 fine.

“Parents today face unprecedented challenges in monitoring and protecting their children from harmful influences,” said Blagojevich. “Some of the popular video games on the market right now allow kids to simulate and participate in violent and sexual activities. Soldiers heading to Iraq use simulations like today’s video games in order to prepare for war.”

Among the games targeted by Blagojevich are best-selling “Halo 2” and second best-selling “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.”

The governor listed several games on his recently launched website, SafeGamesIllinois.org, and explained why each game was objectionable. For example, Blagojevich finds Midway’s “Shadow Hearts” inappropriate because it features sexual innuendo and Eastern mysticism, and “Postal 2,” because the main character suffers from a sexually transmitted disease.

In a written statement Thursday, Blagojevich’s office clarified that games with a redeeming social value that outweigh its prurient appeal would not be deemed “sexually explicit.”

Similar laws have been struck down by courts in the past. In mid-November, a federal judge overturned an Arkansas state law that barred any public venue from shelving material that could be considered “harmful to minors” because it was overbroad and unconstitutional. The court ruled that material inappropriate for a 5-year-old could not necessarily be said to be inappropriate for a 17-year-old.

In 2001, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals also struck down an Indianapolis law that restricted minors from accessing violent arcade games, finding that video games are also protected under the First Amendment.

“To shield children right up to the age of 18 from exposure to violent descriptions and images would not only be quixotic, but deforming,” wrote Judge Richard Posner. “It would leave them unequipped to cope with the world as we know it.”

The court also noted that fairy tales and classic literature are also often filled with violent images.

According to press reports, the Naperville school district had been asked to arrange the governor’s initial press conference for Wednesday, but then requested to postpone it until Thursday, partially in order to accommodate more national media coverage. Blagojevich’s office denied the claim.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More