Illinois Governor Seeks Stricter Video Game Laws

NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Gov. Rod Blagojevich proposed new laws before the Illinois legislature on Thursday that would outlaw the sale or rental of violent and sexually explicit video games to minors.

The new rules would make it a misdemeanor for anyone to distribute, sell or make available games that depict human-on-human violence or male or female genitals to individuals under the age of 18, punishable by up to one year in prison or a $5,000 fine.

“Parents today face unprecedented challenges in monitoring and protecting their children from harmful influences,” said Blagojevich. “Some of the popular video games on the market right now allow kids to simulate and participate in violent and sexual activities. Soldiers heading to Iraq use simulations like today’s video games in order to prepare for war.”

Among the games targeted by Blagojevich are best-selling “Halo 2” and second best-selling “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.”

The governor listed several games on his recently launched website, SafeGamesIllinois.org, and explained why each game was objectionable. For example, Blagojevich finds Midway’s “Shadow Hearts” inappropriate because it features sexual innuendo and Eastern mysticism, and “Postal 2,” because the main character suffers from a sexually transmitted disease.

In a written statement Thursday, Blagojevich’s office clarified that games with a redeeming social value that outweigh its prurient appeal would not be deemed “sexually explicit.”

Similar laws have been struck down by courts in the past. In mid-November, a federal judge overturned an Arkansas state law that barred any public venue from shelving material that could be considered “harmful to minors” because it was overbroad and unconstitutional. The court ruled that material inappropriate for a 5-year-old could not necessarily be said to be inappropriate for a 17-year-old.

In 2001, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals also struck down an Indianapolis law that restricted minors from accessing violent arcade games, finding that video games are also protected under the First Amendment.

“To shield children right up to the age of 18 from exposure to violent descriptions and images would not only be quixotic, but deforming,” wrote Judge Richard Posner. “It would leave them unequipped to cope with the world as we know it.”

The court also noted that fairy tales and classic literature are also often filled with violent images.

According to press reports, the Naperville school district had been asked to arrange the governor’s initial press conference for Wednesday, but then requested to postpone it until Thursday, partially in order to accommodate more national media coverage. Blagojevich’s office denied the claim.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Virginia 'Porn Tax' Bill Delayed Until 2027

A Virginia House of Delegates subcommittee on Monday voted to postpone until next year consideration of a bill that would impose a 10% tax on the gross receipts of adult websites doing business in that state.

Virginia Becomes Latest State to Weigh 'Porn Tax'

The Virginia House of Delegates is considering a bill that would impose a 10% tax on the gross receipts of adult websites doing business in that state.

UPDATED: Arcom Threatens to Block, Delist 2 Adult Sites Over AV Violation

French media regulator Arcom has sent enforcement notices to the operators of two adult websites that the agency says have failed to implement age verification as required under France’s Security and Regulation of the Digital Space (SREN) law.

Show More