Search Wars Heat Up, Microsoft Launches Search Tool

REDMOND, Wash. – After publicly admitting that it had made a mistake by underestimating the revenue potential of the search engine market, 18 months later, Microsoft has finally launched its new beta search technology to a great deal of industry fanfare.

Building on its previous MSN search model, which was powered by Yahoo and other companies, the Redmond, Washington-based software king has now developed an entirely Microsoft-powered search tool called MSN Search, which launched Thursday in 26 markets and 11 languages.

The new search engine can locate email and desktop files, access more than 5 billion web pages and cull results from Microsoft's Encarta encyclopedia. MSN Search can also launch specific actions from the search interface, such as listening to song samples and buying and downloading songs from MSN Music.

MSN Search enables users to conduct searches specific to a geographic location with a "Search Near Me" option that localizes results. Search queries can also be customized to yield results specific to news content, language, images, Internet domains, website addresses and web page popularity or creation date.

Although a full rollout of the search engine won't be available until next year, Microsoft said in a statement that, over time, MSN Search will completely replace the search engine Microsoft currently licenses from Yahoo.

"The release of our beta is a huge step toward delivering the information consumers are looking for online, faster than previous versions of MSN Search," said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president for the MSN Information Services.

Analysts that have so far tested out the beta search tool have given it a lukewarm reception, although there is mounting speculation that the software king could still claim a substantial portion of market share from search rivals Google, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves and AOL.

In a counter move this week, Google announced that it had nearly doubled the size of its search engine index to more than 8 billion web pages, dwarfing Microsoft's 5 billion.

Google made a similar move when Yahoo launched a search engine powered by its own in-house technology by expanding its web index to 4.3 billion pages.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More