Book Ruling Postponed Pending Court Decision

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – XBiz had previously reported on the case of Elizabeth Book, an activist who was arrested for exposing her breasts during a protest at Bike Week in Daytona Beach last March. Book had her day in court this past Thursday, where she argued that police officers violated her First Amendment rights by arresting her.

A defiant Book told Volusia County Judge David D. Beck that she will continue exercising her constitutional rights by publicly showing her breasts despite the city's ban on public nudity. Book, 42, faced second-degree misdemeanor charges after revealing her breasts on the Main Street Bridge during a staged protest that earned international media attention.

Book was protesting Daytona's ordinance that makes it illegal for women to go topless but allows men to do so, a law which the mother of two claims is unfair – something that assistant city attorney Greg McDole disagrees with, stating "She pulls off her shirt and she thinks that's OK, [well,] that's not OK."

Book's counsel, noted First Amendment attorney Lawrence Walters, sees it differently, however, saying that "Ms. Book is a true freedom fighter. She's been through a lot of harassment and intimidation by law enforcement officials and still she continues to fight for her cause. She hasn't earned a dime from all this, and it's refreshing to see someone who is willing to fight hard, and even be jailed, for Free Speech principles. She should be an inspiration to all of us. We're going to need a few more true believers in the times ahead, who are not afraid to take some risks in order to stand up for the First Amendment."

Thursday at trial, Beck postponed his ruling, awaiting a decision by U.S. District Judge John Antoon regarding the constitutionality of the underlying ordinance which is being challenged in a lawsuit filed by Lollipops Gentlemen's Club and Molly Brown's II over Daytona's ban on nudity in establishments that serve alcohol.

"The Judge seemed receptive to our arguments, and we are hopeful that the result in this case will help clarify the law in Daytona Beach that protestors are allowed to use nudity to help convey their message, if they desire. Perhaps the City will finally realize that the First Amendment applies everywhere in this country, even in the City of Daytona Beach," said Walters.

"I'll be back at high noon on March 5," said Book, adding that "I don't believe I committed a crime. Daytona Beach committed a crime against the Constitution of the United States."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More