Scottish Parliament Committee Backs Pornography Research Plan

EDINBURGH, Scotland — Suggesting that pornography incites sexual hatred in the same way that other types of material can incite racial hatred, the Scottish Equal Opportunities Committee backed a proposal urging parliament to make pornography illegal.

Originally suggested by activist group Scottish Women Against Pornography, the petition claims that there is an incontrovertible link between pornography and sex crimes.

“I don’t think we can ignore it any longer,” said committee member Elaine Smith. “I think that since studies do exist showing the harmful effects they should signal to us the precautionary principle and they should be doing further research.”

A similar bill had been rejected by ministers in May after they found that for every study suggesting a link between pornography and sex crimes there was another that said a link did not exist.

The nine female members of Scottish parliament that sit on the committee called the earlier decision inadequate and threw their unanimous opinion behind the new bill.

“We have reviewed the relevant literature but believe that the relationship between the two remains unclear,” said a spokeswoman for the Scottish parliament. “While we have no plans to legislate, we will, of course, continue to monitor the situation.”

The decision comes less than a month after a sheriff’s department in Northern Utah also began to research whether a link exists between pornography and crime.

“We’ve been seeing an increased amount of pornography in relation to some types of crime,” Lt. Matt Bilodeau told XBiz at the time. “The problem was that when we went out to look for statistics to see if there was a relationship, we couldn’t find any material on the subject.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More