‘Lifeline’ for Broadband May Become Reality

LAS VEGAS, Nev. — Federal regulators may soon make broadband available at half the cost of basic DSL or cable modem service for low-income and rural customers.

In a stunning announcement at the annual U.S. Telecom conference in Las Vegas on Wednesday, Federal Communications Commission board member Kathleen Abernathy said that broadband deployments may qualify for support from the universal service fund (USF), which was originally designed to keep the price of basic telephone service affordable throughout the country through “lifeline” programs.

Abernathy said that existing federal law “lends itself to being capable of sustaining broadband. So at a certain point, broadband would qualify for USF support.”

With a universal “lifeline” program set in place, broadband use in the United States could nearly double, experts say.

More than 7.4 million customers signed up last year for broadband services, bringing the total subscribers to nearly 25 million, according to market tracker Leichtman Research Group of Durham, N.H.

The United States currently ranks 11th among major countries in broadband penetration, according to an FCC report released last month.

Abernathy was joined at the conference with commissioners Jonathan Adelstein and Kevin Martin, along with Michael Gallagher, director of the Commerce Department’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration.

Gallagher said his agency next year will launch a push into universal service fund eligibility for broadband, on top of the scrutiny that Congress and the FCC already are giving to the universal service system, which was mandated by 1996 federal legislation.

The FCC board members said the Bush administration is actively exploring ways to foster the development of broadband over power lines (BPL) as part of the president’s call for universal broadband availability by 2007.

Meanwhile, the FCC on Thursday adopted rules to facilitate deployment of BPL by addressing potential interference issues.

The FCC issued rules to avoid interference with public safety providers and licensed radio users. BPL will be excluded from some frequency bands and providers must notify safety authorities prior to deployment, according to the rules.

The rules address concerns about a technology which could help expand broadband to some rural areas and inner cities that aren't wired.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More