Spam's End Is Near, Says United Nations

GENEVA – The United Nations officially got involved in the global war on spam Tuesday, offering a solution that if adopted by governments and software companies could end the spam epidemic in two years.

The UN's involvement in the spam war comes at the behest of anti-spam advocacy groups who claim that if drastic measures aren't taken, spam will soon drive millions of users away from the Internet.

Officials running a three-day U.N. meeting told a news conference that porn, phishing and other forms of Internet fraud facilitated by spammers could effectively kill off Internet commerce if the problem isn't addressed and solutions applied swiftly.

"If we don't work together," said Robert Shaw, Internet strategy expert for the UN. "We may see millions of people abandoning the net entirely out of frustration and disgust."

Representatives for the UN are proposing strict legislation that would give governments the power to hold Internet service providers responsible for facilitating the circulation of spam. There would also be information compiled on all companies and individuals engaged in spamming in order to enforce criminal prosecutions on a global level.

According to the International Telecommunications Union, the spam scourge is costing the world an estimated $25 billion each year in fraud, worker productivity and network damage from viruses.

"If we achieve full international cooperation among governments and software companies, this plague which affects so many of us in our everyday life will be defeated in short order," said Robert Horton, Australia's top regulator.

So far the UN initiative has produced a memorandum of understanding between the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia agreeing to share information on spammers, cooperate in tracking spammers, exchange evidence, facilitate law enforcement against spammers, and coordinate enforcement against international spam violations.

“Illegal spam does not respect national boundaries,” said Timothy Muris, chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, in a statement. “This agreement is an important next step to help law enforcers leverage resources to combat illegal spam.”

The MOU also includes an agreement for representatives from those three countries to meet in October in London to discuss anti-spam enforcement efforts.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More