Federal Appeals Court Allows Email Interception

BOSTON — A federal appeals court ruling this week could open the door to further interpretations of the federal Wiretap Act that could erode personal privacy rights.

In a decision by the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals with potentially profound implications, the court upheld a federal judge's dismissal last year of a wiretapping charge against a former Interloc vice president, Branford C. Councilman.

The government said that Interloc, a now-defunct online seller of rare books, tried to exploit the Amazon emails "to develop a list of books, learn about competitors and attain a commercial advantage."

Councilman had directed employees to write computer code to intercept and copy all incoming emails from Amazon.com to Interloc's subscribers — all prior to the eventual delivery of email messages to their intended recipients, the book dealers who had an email account with Interloc.

The government charged Councilman with conspiracy to violate the Wiretap Act; namely, to intercept an electronic communication and disclose its contents.

But Councilman argued that no violation of the Wiretap Act had occurred because the emails were copied while in "electronic storage."

He claimed the messages were in the process of being routed through a network of servers to recipients.

Because such messages were in "electronic storage," they were not intercepted for purposes of the Wiretap Act, Judge Juan R. Torruella wrote for the majority of the appeals panel.

The court said that messages in storage, however "temporary" or "intermediate" such storage might be, are not protected as electronic communications under the Wiretap Act.

In Tuesday’s dissenting opinion, Judge Kermit V. Lipez of the Boston-based 1st Circuit wrote that upholding Councilman's arguments "would undo decades of practice and precedent regarding the scope of the Wiretap Act and would essentially render the act irrelevant to the protection of wire and electronic privacy."

The Electronic Frontier Foundation immediately denounced the ruling, saying in a statement that the court "dealt a grave blow to the privacy of Internet communications."

Jerry Berman, president of the Center for Democracy and Technology, said he thinks the ruling “violates the letter and spirit of the statute," and that the ruling makes it acceptable for companies that offer email service to surreptitiously track subscribers' messages.

"It puts all of our electronic communications in jeopardy — voice mail, email, you name it," he said.

The case is United States vs. Councilman, No. 03-1383

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More