Experts ID Virus Targeting Cellphones

LOS ANGELES — An antivirus company says it has discovered what is believed to be the first computer virus capable of spreading over cellphone networks.

Kaspersky Labs said Tuesday it has discovered Cabir, a network worm that infects phones running Symbian wireless operating systems.

Cabir infects the Symbian operating system that is used in several makes of cellphones, particularly the Nokia brand, and breeds through new Bluetooth wireless technology.

Phones that use the Symbian software from other manufacturers, including Siemens AG, Samsung Electronics Co., and Panasonic Mobile Communications Co., a unit of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., may also be vulnerable.

When an infected file is launched, the cellphone's screen displays the word "Caribe," and the worm modifies the Symbian operating system so that Cabir is started each time the phone is turned on.

Once infected, Cabir scans for other vulnerable phones using Bluetooth wireless technology, then sends a copy of itself to the first vulnerable phone it finds, Moscow-based Kaspersky said.

So far, Kaspersky Labs says that no infections have been reported.

A Kaspersky Labs official told XBiz that the virus appears to have been developed by writers known as “29a,” an international group that creates viruses which try to show "that no technology is reliable and safe from their attacks."

A recent virus that targets Windows 64-bit operating systems — Rugrat — was written by 29a. The group also has created viruses known as Cap, Stream and Donut.

Anti-virus experts have been warning for months that cellphone viruses are set to multiply, given the increasingly diverse uses of mobile devices.

And the payload for viruses is great because of the profits spammers can make by creating worms that plant an open proxy, which the spammer then can use to forward it automatically.

The Federal Communications Commission said earlier this year that it would decide by the end of September how to keep unsolicited messages off cell phone screens.

Juniper Research says that the growing convergence of adult content on cellphones could mean huge dividends. The research firm said that international cell phone porn could reach $790 million by 2006.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More