Symantec Warns Korgo Virus Is Getting Serious

BERLIN – The newest computer virus to hit worm-riddled cyberspace is Korgo (W32.Korgo), a worm that is so far isolated to parts of Germany but capable of targeting personal bank and credit card information without any involvement from a user, authorities said Thursday.

U.S. security firm Symantec issued a warning that the Korgo.F variant is becoming a serious threat. Korgo was first spotted on May 25.

According to cyber security experts, Korgo is strikingly similar in its codification to the Sasser virus and its subsequent variants. Sasser hit the web in May and swiftly crippled hundreds of big-name business networks and infected millions of computers.

Like many computer viruses that left their indelible mark on the Internet community before Korgo, the virus is rooted in a security loophole in Microsoft's Windows operating system. Operating systems that are particularly vulnerable are Windows 98, Me, NT, 2000 and XP. The virus does not infect Mac-based operating systems.

The Federal Office for Security in Information Technology based in Bonn issued a security warning this week on the dangers of Korgo, which does not rely on users to open an attachment or an email in order to launch an attack. The worm's primary function, say experts, is to hunt out online banking passwords and credit card numbers. The worm can enter through a back door unless a user deliberately applies a patch.

"This backdoor functionality could result in a loss of confidential data and may also compromise security settings," said Kevin Isaac, Symantec Regional Director for the Middle East and Africa. "This threat is another strong example of why it is critical for computer users to be diligent in applying security patches, keeping virus definitions updated, and following best practices."

Due to a rise in reported incidents of Korgo, Symantec has raised its warning response level from a Level 2 to a Level 3.

Microsoft has reportedly already made Korgo patches available to users but does not believe the virus will spread as quickly or as widely as Sasser.

Symantec is recommending that users implement a more "integrated" approach to network security because of the increase in worms designed to invade user privacy and confidentiality.

According to a recent report form a software security firm, the amount of new viruses released in the month of May alone hit a two-and-a-half-year high. Those viruses included Sasser, Netsky-Z, Sober-G, Bagle-AA, and Lovgate-V.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More