FBI Investigates Stolen Source Code

SAN JOSE, Calif. – After reporting yesterday that a portion of its core software code had shown up on the Internet, Cisco Systems Inc., the maker of some of the core elements that direct computer traffic over the Internet, is now investigating whether the code was stolen.

A portion of the raw source code first showed up on a Russian security site, SecurityLab.ru, which claimed it had been submitted by an anonymous hacker.

After confirming that the source code was original proprietary material from its Internetworking Operating System, Cisco notified the FBI and began its own internal investigation into the matter.

According to an announcement by Cisco, the source code is part of the operating system that runs the Cisco-built hardware that makes the Internet work.

The 2.5 MB of code was first acquired by the Russian security company over an Internet Relay Chat channel by someone calling themselves "Franz," the FBI has reported. There is reason to believe that the hackers could be in possession of as much as 800MB of IOS software.

Kevin D. Mitnick, a former hacker, told the WashingtonPost.com that he has seen Cisco source code circulating over the Internet on many occasions. Mitnick was arrested by the FBI in 1995 for hacking into the federal government's website.

"I've been offered up Cisco source code three times in the last three years," he said. "Of course, I declined."

It is not yet clear what the ramifications of the alleged theft could be, although Cisco has downplayed the situation and denies that the source code falling into the wrong hands could pose any security threat to its network or the Internet.

However, some security experts disagree, saying that hackers who exploit security flaws in the software could end up causing a disruption to the Internet. There is also speculation that the hackers in possession of the code could be intending to sell it, rather than hacking further into the Cisco system.

"Cisco is aware that a potential compromise of its proprietary information occurred and was reported on a public website just prior to the weekend," the company said in a statement. "Cisco is fully investigating what happened."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More