Hawaii May Outlaw Sex Tours

HONOLULU – Hawaii’s Legislature this week will decide the fate of a bill designed to halt the Internet and brick-and-mortar sales of sex tours.

Travel agents in Hawaii caught offering, booking or selling a sex tour would face felony charges and up to five years in prison under a bill.

Hawaii’s HB 2020 was prompted by a complaint to state officials by Equality Now, a New York-based organization, which said a Honolulu travel agency had placed explicit advertisements on a website offering the "Ultimate Asian Sex Tour" to Thailand every May and November.

"The individuals and businesses creating the victimization and profiting from the sex trade must stop," a Hawaii legislative panel said.

The bill’s sponsors note the global sex tour business is a $1 billion business and contributes to trafficking in women and girls in developing nations where enforcement of prostitution laws are lax.

Equality Now's complaint was against Melvin Hamaguchi, owner of Video Travel, which had a website offering the tours to Thailand for about $800.

Hawaii official JoAnn Uchida told XBiz that Hamaguchi had closed his business and shut down his website in October, a month before Equality Now sponsored a protest outside his home.

If passed, Hawaii would join New York as states with laws banning sex tours.

Earlier this month, two operators of a New York travel agency were indicted for organizing Asian sex tours, the first such case involving a U.S.-based company.

The trips arranged by Big Apple Oriental Tours were allegedly a way to solicit customers for prostitution rings in the Philippines and Thailand.

Douglas Allen and Norman Barabash were charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of promoting prostitution. If convicted, they could face up to seven years in prison.

Big Apple Oriental Tours conducted a marketing campaign that included videos, a website, brochures and customer testimonials for trips costing about $2,500 for seven to 10 days.

The brochure promised "unforgettable adventure vacations for single men to paradise.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More