Search Engine Google Files IPO Plan

SAN FRANCISCO – When Google Inc. filed to go public on Thursday, it revealed a dazzling array of information to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The once-secretive company’s financials show that it plans to raise as much as $2.7 billion in an initial public offering. The filing, which would immediately rank it among the 15 largest IPOs in U.S. history, didn't specify a price per share.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company posted a profit of $105.6 million in the year ended Dec. 31, up from $99.7 million a year earlier, according to the SEC. It had revenue of $961.9 million in the recent year, up from $347.8 million in the year-earlier period.

The search engine firm has been profitable since 2001, when it posted net income of $7 million on revenue of $86.4 million.

The filing says that Google had 1,907 employees, consisting of 596 in research and development, 961 in sales and marketing and 350 in general and administrative, as of March 31.

According to the filing, CEO Eric Schmidt made $250,000 in salary and got a $301,556 bonus last year, plus additional compensation of $2,894.

Co-founders Sergey Brin, now president of technology, and Larry Page, now president of products, both received salaries of $150,000 and bonuses of $206,556.

The filing also included an “Owner’s Manual” for shareholders that emphasized that Google should retain its entrepreneurial spirit.

“Google is not a conventional company,” the “Owner’s Manual” said. “We do not intend to become one. Throughout Google's evolution as a privately held company, we have managed Google differently. We have also emphasized an atmosphere of creativity and challenge, which has helped us provide unbiased, accurate and free access to information for those who rely on us around the world.

“Now the time has come for the company to move to public ownership. This change will bring important benefits for our employees, for our present and future shareholders, for our customers, and most of all for Google users.”

Credit Suisse First Boston and Morgan Stanley will be the IPO’s lead underwriters, and unlike a traditional IPO, Google plans to sell the shares in the coming months through an auction conducted by its underwriters on the company's behalf, in an effort to make the shares more widely available.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More