Alyon Blasts FTC, May Seek Compensation

NEW YORK – Alyon Technologies Inc. on Tuesday threatened to seek compensation from the Federal Trade Commission if it doesn’t come to “satisfactory” terms in a case against the online adult billing processor.

XBiz has learned that New York-based Alyon has asked for a status conference in U.S. District Court following the FTC’s admission last week that it incorrectly published a press release stating it prohibited the company from billing online adult providers.

Alyon CEO Stephane Touboul claims the FTC’s release on its website was “designed to undermine Alyon’s ability to remain in business.”

Federal regulators said the October release indicated erroneously that the court had prohibited Alyon from “billing, collecting, or attempting to collect payment” for services the company rendered via a deal with providers of online adult content.

The FTC said that the court did not prohibit billing but, instead, set forth the parameters under which Alyon may continue to conduct business.

The FTC and 13 state attorneys general charged last year that Alyon was illegally billing and collecting for videotext services accessed on the Internet.

The regulators claim that Alyon used a modem dialing program that disconnected consumers from their own Internet service providers and reconnected them to the Internet sites Alyon billed for without the consumers’ authorization or approval.

Using the dialing program, the FTC said that Alyon captured the telephone number used by the modem and matched it against several databases of line subscriber information. The agency said the databases frequently contained errors.

The line subscribers identified as responsible for the captured telephone number later received bills charging them $4.99 a minute for each minute the defendants claim videotext services were purchased, regardless of whether the line subscribers authorized the purchase, the FTC said.

The FTC, which did not return phone calls from XBiz on Tuesday, said in a memo last week that “An FTC employee, while handling consumer complaints about Alyon’s billing practices, altered one of the affidavit forms prescribed by the court ... and distributed such altered affidavits to a number of consumers.”

The affidavits included paraphrased explanations of the judge’s ruling, which the company knew to be misrepresentations, Touboul said.

“The FTC’s statements were directly contrary to Judge [R.W.] Story’s order which preserved our right to bill and collect from consumers,” Touboul said. “Once we were made aware of the FTC’s actions, it was clear to us that we needed to bring this matter to the immediate attention of the commission to put a stop to the dissemination of these misleading affidavits.”

Touboul said that Alyon wants to “move forward and potentially enter into a fruitful dialogue to end this case without further litigation.”

But Touboul warned that if a "satisfactory" agreement can’t be reached with the regulators, “Alyon will proceed to vigorously defend itself in court and will pursue its legal rights to seek compensations from the FTC for its admitted wrongful conduct.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More