Officials Want Mandatory Condom Policy

HOLLYWOOD – California officials are set to lower the boom on adult content companies, deciding to begin health inspections on production sets after two actors contracted the AIDS virus.

Authorities from the state and Los Angeles County also said that existing workplace rules give them the authority to require condom use for adult productions.

"I look at this strictly as an employer-employee issue." Peter Kerndt, director of the sexually transmitted disease program for the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, said at a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

The largely unregulated industry primarily based in San Fernando Valley will now face inspections by the state Division of Occupational Health and Safety, known as Cal/OSHA.

Cal/OSHA, which is probing the adult content industry for the first time, has been asked to look at the production companies where Darren James and Laura Roxx, the two infected actors, worked.

Dozens of production companies shut down after the actors subsequently tested positive for the virus that can cause AIDS, and nearly 55 people have been quarantined because of potential exposure.

Cal/OSHA typically investigates workplace injuries, particularly construction and agricultural companies, where the majority of injuries and deaths occur.

But now the agency will look at a blood-borne pathogen standard, which would require precautions by porn stars who come in contact with semen, vaginal secretions, blood and other bodily fluids that may transmit diseases. It would also set up an illness-prevention program, requiring employers to have written policies on reducing workplace hazards.

Only a few adult content producers have switched to condom-only productions. Two of the largest adult companies, Wicked Pictures of Van Nuys, Calif., and Vivid Entertainment of Universal City, Calif., have required condoms for years.

Kerndt said he expects resistance to mandatory condom use and said some adult content providers may leave the state.

But Jack Kyser, who leads the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp., told XBiz that scenario would be unlikely.

“With an industry like porn, which has nearly 200 companies in the area employing 6,000 actors and production jobs, there is a large film infrastructure here,” Kyser said. "It would hard to shoot the films elsewhere.

“But the one thing we worry about is that a condom-only policy could drive producers underground, where you put more people at risk,” he said.

The industry requires performers to undergo testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases every three rather than requiring condoms. But for James, who contracted HIV, records show that he had multiple partners in the weeks between check-ups. For example, James had film scenes with five women on March 8.

Efforts to regulate the industry has faced numerous obstacles through the years, particularly since most porn actors are not employees, just independent contractors. Cal/OSHA's regulations only govern conduct between an employee and his or her employer, not between an employer and an independent contractor.

Enforcement of existing state regulations would require a condom-only policy and mean an end to practices in some pornographic movies that involve contact with semen. It also would require porn producers to bear the costs of any testing, vaccinations and medical care associated with their employees in the workplace, county officials said.

County officials last year issued a report concluding that the porn industry posed a health risk to its workers and the general population. At the time, officials recommended that the Board of Supervisors ask state officials to develop regulations that would require adult-film actors to use condoms and be tested for a variety of communicable diseases, including HIV and hepatitis.

"We want to bring this industry into the mainstream by putting it under the regulations that currently exist,” Kerndt said. “ It would be a model for the rest of the country."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Sophia Locke Stars in 1st Episode of 'Mommy's Boy' Crossover

Reigning XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Sophia Lock stars with Elias Cash and Demi Hawks in the first installment of Adult Time “Mommy’s Boy” and “Mommy’s Girl” crossover event, titled “His Pro-Domme Stepmom.”

Amalia Davis Stars in Latest From HardX

Amalia Davis stars with Lucas Frost in the latest release from XEmpire studio brand HardX.

Lia Lin Stars in Latest From Brazzers

Lia Lin stars with Jordi El Nino Polla in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Giving Her All She Can Handle."The scene opens with Lin and Polla flying to Europe to shoot together for the first time.

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

Isa Bella Stars in Latest From New Sensations

Isa Bella stars with Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from New Sensations.

Andi Avalon, Little Puck Front Latest From Swappz

Andi Avalon and Little Puck star in the latest release from Swappz.

Jade Venus, Baxxx Lead Latest From TransSensual

Jade Venus and Baxxx star in the latest release from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual, titled "Happy Ending."

Charlotte Sins, E. Streetcar Star in Latest From Transfixed

Charlotte Sins and E. Streetcar star in the latest release from Transfixed, titled "Make Her Ex Squirm."

Lilly Bell Stars in Latest From Brazzers

Lilly Bell stars with Scott Nails in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Tradwife’s Slutty Secret."

Elegant Angel Debuts 'Charlotte Sins Is Slutwoman' Showcase

Charlotte Sins takes on the role of "Slutwoman" in the latest iteration of Elegant Angel's signature showcase series.

Show More