Sex.com Reaches Finish Line

SAN FRANCISCO – Sex.com owner Gary Kremen reached a final settlement Monday following a prolonged six-year legal battle with registrar VeriSign, formerly Network Solutions Inc.

Kremen would not disclose the settlement amount due to a confidentiality agreement, although a source close to the litigation told XBiz that it was between $40-60 million.

Along with the settlement came a landmark decision by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that domain names are property and that registrars will hereafter be held accountable for their mishandling of the Internet domain name system.

"There are several people being sued by Acacia in our industry and some countersuits going on," Kremen told XBiz. "But people are going to have to realize that it takes years for these things to resolve themselves if people want to really fight it out."

The court found that VeriSign was subject to the "tort of conversion" by not returning property that was owned by another party, in this case Kremen, and despite Kremen's attempts to regain ownership of his rightful domain property, Verisign did not correct the error.

“It was already damaging that VeriSign had taken my domain name away from me without my permission, and refused to give it back when shown proof that it was stolen,” said Kremen, CEO of Sex.Com. “I’m ecstatic that we have reached a settlement so we can put the case behind us and find peace in knowing that the 9th Circuit’s opinion in the Sex.Com case will have an influential role in holding Internet registrars responsible for mishandling their customer’s domain name properties.”

The Sex.com domain name was stolen by ex-con Stephen Cohen in 1995 after Cohen convinced Network Solutions to transfer ownership of the domain based on a bogus letter. Although it was later revealed in court proceedings that the letter never existed and that Cohen had managed to transfer ownership simply by calling the registrar.

VeriSign allegedly made no attempt at the time to verify Cohen’s relation to Sex.Com.

Kremen won a $65 million judgment against Cohen and then went after Network Solutions for further damages. The judgment won again Cohen was never paid in full but included property seizure of one of Cohen's homes in the affluent suburb of Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.

Cohen is officially a fugitive and can no longer return to the U.S. Kremen put out a bounty of $50,000 last year for anyone who brings him back legally.

“Gary’s Sex.Com victory is likely to influence legal developments in important areas beyond domain names," said Douglas Masters, a partner with Loeb & Loeb LLP in Chicago. "In this digital age, the handling of intangible property has taken on enormous importance. The 9th Circuit’s decision is an important step in applying settled principles to this new realm.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More