Adult v. Acacia Gets Another Day in Court

SANTA ANA, Calif. - The second Markman hearing proceeding took place Friday in U.S. District Court as Judge James Ware heard testimony regarding four terms and phrases at issue in the ongoing litigation process between Acacia Technologies Group and 13 defendants in the adult entertainment industry.

The case represents an ongoing patent infringement lawsuit between Acacia and adult companies (among many other industries) whose streaming and downloadable videos allegedly infringe on Acacia's DMT patents.

A Markman hearing is when a judge looks at evidence and definitions before determining patent claims.

Both the defendants and the plaintiffs had an opportunity to present their case to Ware, who listened intently and questioned both sides about their positions.

The majority of the court day was spent defining the fundamental language that is applicable to Acacia's patents; a determination that will eventually play a pivotal role in which side wins the case.

Among the eight phrases and terms of Acacia's patents on the Markman agenda, only five have so far been heard by the judge; one was heard in the previous Markman session, and four were covered on Friday.

The phrases debated by the defense and plaintiffs were terms relating to remote locations, storing items, library means, identification and coding, and the assignment of unique identification codes for the retrieval of data. All of the above terms were vigorously debated by the plaintiffs and the defense team, represented by Boston-based Fish & Richardson.

In addition to the eight claims on the Markman agenda, Ware said there might be more claims worth examining related to Acacia's 992 patent. The judge also gave no indication of when he would rule on the matters.

Ware set aside additional dates for further hearings in the case. The judge had previously set dates for May 18-20.

While it is typically unusual for the court to set dates so far in advance, Ware affirmed additional dates of June 23-24, and July 7-8.

In addition to the terms and phrases that are currently at issue with Acacia's No. 992 patent, the judge also asked the parties to select 10 terms and phrases from the No. 702 patent, the second patent so far asserted by Acacia against the adult industry.

Out of the patents that Acacia lays claim to regarding the streaming of audio and video over the Internet, only two of the company's five patents in the U.S. have so far been used in the litigation process against the adult industry.

Acacia also made the court aware that it would be filing its motion regarding class action status within the next week. Acacia filed a class-action lawsuit against a group of adult entertainment companies with intent to establish a defendant class in which unlimited numbers of adult companies could be collectively sued for patent infringement.

Spike Goldberg, one of the defendants in the New Destiny defense group referred to Friday's hearing as "a lot of tit for tat."

"At the end of the day," Goldberg told XBiz. "There is nothing I can say or [Robert] Berman can say that will change things. Once the judge makes his decision, we won't have to live with Acacia's interpretations of the claims anymore."

"We think the court proceedings continue to go very well," Robert Berman, senior vice president of business development for Acacia, told XBiz. "We are confident that the judge will hold that the patents are valid, enforceable, and worthy of licensing, as we and our licensees have believed all along."

Also present in court was a representative for International Web Innovations (Max Cash), a separate litigant, and On-Command Corp. a company that refused to license with Acacia and was subsequently sued for patent infringement in November 2003.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More