Judge Denies Motion in Mike Jones Case

WOODSTOCK, Illinois – Former CDBabes owner Mike Jones found himself closer to the end of a three-year obscenity trial Friday when a judge denied State Attorney Dan Regna a motion to reconsider a search warrant executed against Jones.

Judge Sharon Prather's decision stems from a decision on Feb. 20 to grant the state's attorney leave to file a motion for reconsideration, after deciding only a month earlier to grant the defense motion to suppress all evidence obtained from the search of Jones' home and office.

"It was a good day for Mike Jones," his attorney J.D. Obenberger told XBiz. "The state's attempt to validate the search warrant to get the judge to change her mind was denied today. Now the state has to make an appeal within 30 days in writing, or the issue will be permanently and forever closed."

Jones was indicted on obscenity and child pornography charges in 2001 after having his home and offices raided by Illinois police. At the time of the raid, police seized adult tapes, almost all of Jones' financial records, videotapes, floppy disks, and computers, much of which were later used as evidence against Jones to support the criminal charges against him.

The case hit its first snafu when Judge Prather ordered evidence seized from the raid on Jones' property suppressed after ruling that the search warrant used at the time was overbroad and "violative of the First Amendment.'

Obenberger said after leaving the courtroom that the judge's decision will bode well for Jones and could indicate that his obscenity ordeal is close to the finish. The judge's decision came after a period of argument over the exact terms of the search warrant used to raid Jones' property.

According to Obenberger, the warrant directed the officers to seize everything that was considered "obscene" or "child porn."

"But the warrant did not define those terms," said Obenberger. "So they basically took everything that wasn't nailed down, and typically it is not within the confidence of a police officer to make an "on view" arrest when it comes to determining what obscenity is, however there are much less stringent rules when it comes to determining child porn."

According to Judge Prather's decision today, separating the evidence as either child porn or obscenity was too broad.

Moving forward, the prosecution can file a notice of appeal in writing within a thirty-day period. If they don't file, says Obenberger, they can't use anything against Jones as a result of the search.

"The state knows that Mike Jones never was a child pornographer," Obenberger told XBiz. "The state knows he never had knowing possession of child porn. I am deeply convinced that had the evidence not been suppressed, Mike Jones would be acquitted of all charges."

In the meantime, Jones continues to produce adult content, but he sold CDBabes' to David Slaughter in November of the last year.

Jones was not available for comment at the time of this posting.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More