Broadcast Indecency Complaints on Rise

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Broadcast indecency complaints have been on the rise this year because the Federal Communications Commission has made it easier to file them. The regulatory agency recently made it more convenient to file a complaint, by expanding its system by email, as well as by mail, phone, or fax.

And it has been a banner year for fines. In the past six months alone, the FCC has levied more than $1.55 million in fines. From January 2001 through October 2003, the commissioners proposed just $247,500 in penalties.

The FCC, which controls the public airwaves, said that 530,885 complaints have been filed in 2004, all but 57 related to singer Janet Jackson's breast-baring incident during this year’s Super Bowl. Last year, the commission received 240,350 complaints about 318 different radio or TV programs, compared with just 346 in 2002 from 152 shows.

On Thursday, the agency ruled rock singer Bono was profane and indecent when he used the phrase “fucking brilliant” at last year's Golden Globe Awards. The agency also proposed a fine of $27,500 for a Howard Stern broadcast on Detroit’s WKRK in which he discussed oral sex, as well as a $7,000 fine for Holmes Beach, Fla.’s WLLD for a morning conversation involving an apparent sex act between a man and woman.

Federal broadcast-indecency laws outlaw discussion of sexual or excretory organs and activities or other patently offensive material from the hours of 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The FCC stopped short of fining Bono or NBC and affiliates, but FCC Chairman Michael Powell said the reversal of policy "sends a signal to the industry that the gratuitous use of such vulgar language on broadcast television will not be tolerated."

Though Stern's radio show is syndicated on more than 40 stations nationwide, the FCC limited it to the market where the complaint against the show originated for the July 2001 broadcast.

So far the year has been marked by a Bush Administration agenda to sanitize the airwaves of conversations on sex and the use of profanity.

Both the Senate and the House of Representatives this year have held numerous hearings on obscenity matters over the public airwaves and are about to pass legislation that would increase the maximum indecency fine to $500,000 for each violation, up from $27,500 now, among other things.

Even without the new legislation, which the Bush Administration signaled it will sign, the FCC has boosted the dollar amount of fines by beginning to assess $27,500 for each indecent utterance and for each station on which it was aired.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More