New Proposal Would Ax Guccione

NEW YORK, NY -- The saga continues over Bob Guccione and the Penthouse empire.

Marc Bell, who leads an equity group seeking to take over the adult magazine, filed a plan in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York to fire the 73-year-old Guccione without compensation.

Bell, 36, plans to take the now-bankrupt Penthouse and relaunch it as a young men’s magazine such as Maxim, Stuff and FHM.

‘‘We want to realign the magazine and take it to the center,’’ Bell told the New York Post. “It’s got very hard-core and lost a lot of readership because of that.’’

Bell founded Internet firm Globix at age 21 and now invests in real estate. He also heads the Boca Raton, Fla., private equity firm Marc Bell Capital Partners, which has amassed 89 percent of the Penthouse’s approximately $45 million in bonds and plans to infuse nearly $50 million to turn around the publication.

His latest plan submitted to the court would pay nearly $80 million to creditors and holders of bonds and preferred securities.

The parties meet again next Friday to argue the reorganization plan. Bell originally welcomed Guccione into its plan and offered to pay him $500,000 a year.

Last month, a judge approved Bell’s plan to acquire New York-based General Media, which also owns several Penthouse-branded magazines and adult-entertainment businesses.

The empire includes subscription Internet sites, video and DVD production and distribution, and licensing of its brand on products such as gentlemen’s clubs.

Guccione, who founded Penthouse in 1965, owns almost all of General Media’s parent company, Penthouse International, which did not file for bankruptcy protection but no longer controls the magazine.

Circulation reached 5.2 million copies in heady days, but in recent years with competition from the Internet, as well as satellite and cable channels, the circulation has dipped to 460,000, where it is now. Playboy, in comparison has a circulation of 3.2 million.

Robert Feinstein on Thursday told the Post that Bell’s new plan is a “a last-gasp tactic” to harm a fully-funded reorganization. “We’ve requested he withdraw it,” he said.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ameena Green on Delayed Gratification and Finding her 'Synthesis' Moment

In an industry that sometimes moves at breakneck speed, Ameena Green is taking it slow.

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

Juliana Marie Makes Her West Coast Productions Debut

Juliana Marie has made her debut for West Coast Productions (WCP), alongside Jovan Jordan, in the studio’s latest release, titled “The Monster Tamer.”

Krystal Sparks, Nicky Huntsman & Natalia Starr Front 'Austin Powers' Parody From MYLF

Krystal Sparks, Natalia Starr, and Nicky Huntsman star with Quinton James in a new “Austin Powers” parody from MYLF.

Scarlet Chase Stars in 'Slippery Sloppy Slut' From SecretCrush

Evil Angel has released the latest scene from Scarlet Chase's SecretCrush brand, titled "Slippery Sloppy Slut."

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

Ricky's Room Releases New Title 'Gemini's Room'

Ricky’s Room has released its Baby Gemini showcase, "Gemini’s Room," on DVD.

Candee Licious, Zazie Skymm Star in Latest From MixedX

Candee Licious and Zazie Skymm star in the latest release from MixedX, titled “The Other Memory.”

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Show More