Shipment of 'Obscene' Comics Seized By Canadian Authorities

OTTAWA — A shipment of erotic comic books slated to be delivered to the Montreal location of gay-themed chain store Priape earlier this year was seized by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) because the comics were deemed to be obscene, according to the Canadian “queer news” site Xtra.ca.

The comics seized by the CBSA are French translations published by a company called H&O Comics in France, and include such titles as “Dads & Boys” by English artist Josman, as well as work by the Japanese artist Gengoroh Tagame.

H&O spokesperson Olivier Tourtois told Xtra.ca that the company is too small and not well-funded enough to oppose the seizures, and Priape owner Bernard Rousseau said that without support from the publisher, he will not appeal the CBSA’s decision, either.

The subject matter of the particular comics at issue is another reason Rousseau isn’t inclined to oppose the seizure.

“We didn’t protest because it was mostly about younger boys and incest,” Rousseau said. “We have protested before, but we decided that after looking into the matter, it is too much.”

CBSA spokesperson Chris Williams said that the comics were deemed to be obscene because of “depictions of incest to sex with pain and sexual mutilation, defecation and vomiting.”

Denis Leblanc, who is in charge of purchasing for Priape, said that he wasn’t aware of the themes and storylines of the titles before he ordered them.

“I knew it wasn’t a church book,” Lebland said. “I knew it was erotic stories and that it was comics, but I didn’t know specifically what it was about.”

Rousseau said that given the consequences under Canadian law for selling materials determined by a court to be obscene, an abundance of caution is called for.

“You have to be careful what you sell because you can go to jail and I don’t want to get involved,” says Rousseau. “I’m too old for that.”

The risk of unintentionally selling such material is what really worries Rousseau.

“You don’t look at everything that comes in,” he said. “You might not even be aware that you’re selling something illegal.”

Jim Deva, co-owner of Vancouver’s Little Sister’s Bookstore, said that he finds the ambiguous and arbitrary standards of the CBSA troubling.

“Just to say that [CBSA] found this material in it, does not mean that it is dangerous,” Deva said. Although he emphasized that Little Sister’s does not support the sexualization of children, he said that there needs to be “a discussion in Canada about intergenerational sex.”

“Let’s have some experts look at [the content of the seized comics], and if they determine that it is [dangerous], let’s keep it out,” Deva said. “I really mistrust CBSA’s ability to determine what is obscene at the present time.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More