Gonzales Proposes Dramatic Rewrite of Copyright Law

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has proposed a new intellectual property bill, drastically rewriting current copyright law to, among other things, criminalize "intent" and "attempt" to infringe.

The Intellectual Property Protection Act of 2007 increases penalties and crimes that fall under the umbrella of copyright infringement, and also permits the government to play a more active — and intrusive — role in copyright investigation.

Current law states that penalties for copyright infringement can be made only if infringement had taken place. The IPPA would make even the attempt a crime.

"It is a general tenet of the criminal law that those who attempt to commit a crime but do not complete it are as morally culpable as those who succeed in doing so," the Justice Department wrote in its summary review of the bill.

Also under the law, officials would be allowed to bug offices to aid in their copyright infringement investigation, and computers "intended to be used in any manner" to violate copyright law would be more easily seized.

Adult industry lawyer Robert Apgood, a self-proclaimed "champion of the protection of intellectual property rights," said he condemns piracy, but that what Gonzales has proposed is nothing more than a way to decimate the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

"I absolutely cannot and do not support what Gonzales is trying to do in expanding the already frightening scope of wiretaps and seizures," Apgood said. "We must all look suspect on proposed legislation by the current executive that purports to protect the rights of those whose interests they have consistently opposed."

Last week, Apgood successfully argued on behalf of Falcon Foto, which was awarded $3.2 million in damages after 3,133 of its images were posted on websites and FHGs by the parent company of Porn Kings.

1st Amendment lawyer J. D. Obenberger told XBIZ he "despises designer crimes" proposed by lobbyists acting on behalf of trade groups with an axe to grind.

"These laws generally stack all available presumptions against the consumer, defendant, individual to the maximum extent possible and make life as easy as possible for the industry interest," Obenberger said.

Obenberger also said he's not completely convinced that there should be any crime in copyright infringement, and that the financial responsibility of enforcing the law should be put on the copyright holders themselves.

"Why should our tax dollars pay to protect recording artists, movie producers and composers?" Obenberger said. "It's got the hallmarks of protecting special, contributing interests. When's the last time that DOJ stepped in to protect the copyright of adult content anywhere? Does anyone reasonably expect that to happen in this lifetime?"

1st Amendment lawyer Jeffrey Douglas told XBIZ that Gonzales is continuing the Bush administration's agenda of turning the U.S. into a highly regulated society where governance is imposed by fear and threat.

"The proposal does little to protect the intellectual property rights of creators," Douglas said. "Representing, as I do, members of the portion of the entertainment industry more badly bruised by infringement and piracy than any other, I find these proposals to represent avoidance of the issues, rather than a good faith effort at addressing them."

The IPPA has the support of the Bush administration, as well as the Motion Picture Association of America, and is one of several proposals reportedly being reviewed by the House Judiciary subcommittee in charge of intellectual property.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More