AG Gonzales Summoned to Testify on Attorney Firings

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has been summoned by the Senate Judiciary Committee today for a day-long hearing over the firing of eight U.S. attorneys in December.

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., so far has questioned Gonzales about the extent of his involvement in the firings after emails surfaced confirming he was active in discussions regarding the purged attorneys.

In a previous press conference, Gonzales said he played no role in the firing process. Today, he apologized for his "missteps," stating he misspoke during that conference and did not intentionally mislead the Department of Justice or the media.

Gonzales insists he had "limited involvement" in the firing process and maintains his belief that any meetings regarding the firings that took place were held only to discuss their performances as attorneys.

"It would be improper to remove a U.S. attorneys to interfere with or influence a particular prosecution for partisan political gain," Gonzales said. "I did not do that. I would never do that."

Gonzales followed by saying he also believe no one else in the DOJ involved in the firings acted with malicious intent.

Gonzales was subpoenaed April 10 to hand over documents that Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., said he believes "show a coordinated effort, initiated by the White House, to purge every U.S. attorney in the country.”

Court documents reveal that one of the eight attorneys, Paul Charlton of Arizona, may have been purged for his role in the JM Productions obscenity trial. A motion to dismiss obscenity charges against adult distributor Christopher Ankeney and Five Star Video argued that the U.S. government had overseen the sale in Arizona of several adult titles deemed obscene.

The government's involvement in the sale began when Castle Megastore filed for bankruptcy, and the government appointed Vern Schweigert and Mark Franks to run the company. The court papers stated that, between 2003 and 2006, Castle stores throughout the state sold more than 100 copies of the titles in question — “Filthy Things 6,” “Gag Factor 15,” “Gag Factor 18” and “American Bukkake 13.”

In his motion to dismiss, Castle Megastore's attorney Richard Hertzberg argued that the U.S. government could not bring an obscenity charge against his client because it had in fact approved the sale of the adult titles.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Supreme Court Rejects Trump Tariffs

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Show More