AG Alberto Gonzales Subpoenaed for Attorney-Purging Documents

WASHINGTON — The House Judiciary Committee subpoenaed Attorney General Alberto Gonzales for documents pertaining to the firings of eight U.S. attorneys in December.

The Committee is investigating the Justice Department's motives for dismissing the federal prosecutors, and Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) said he is losing patience.

"We have been patient in allowing the department to work through its concerns regarding the sensitive nature of some of these materials," Conyers wrote to Gonzales in a letter accompanying the subpoena. "Unfortunately, the department has not indicated any meaningful willingness to find a way to meet our legitimate needs."

Conyers also said any further delay in receiving the documents would not serve any constructive purpose to the investigation.

The Committee initially launched its investigation in March. Initially officials at the Justice Department said the attorneys had been dismissed because of concerns about their job performance. However, the same sources now say at least some of the eight federal prosecutors were fired because of policy reasons.

Documents later released by Justice rose "new and troubling questions" regarding the firing of six of the eight prosecutors, according to Conyers.

"At a minimum, we believe these documents show a coordinated effort, initiated by the White House, to purge every U.S. attorney in the country,” Conyers said.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More