ICANN to File Suit Against RegisterFly

LOS ANGELES — Frustrated by RegisterFly operators’ failure to provide registration data to ICANN officials, the Internet policymaking board has decided to file suit seeking a restraining order against the domain registrar, XBIZ has learned.

ICANN plans to file suit Thursday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles because it had increasing concern that the domain registrar’s customers would be “irreparably harmed” if it did not provide all of the requested data, as well as rolling updates every two days.

“RegisterFly’s failure to provide that data constitutes a breach of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement and places RegisterFly’s customer in great jeopardy,” according to a letter drawn up by ICANN outside counsel Jeffrey LeVee, an attorney with Los Angeles-based Jones Day.

In a letter earlier in the week to RegisterFly CEO Kevin Medina, ICANN said that the Miami-based company provided old customer data last week, the same information that it sent ICANN four weeks ago.

ICANN is seeking a temporary restraining order requiring that the registrar turn over all data relative to its customers.

Earlier this month, ICANN terminated RegisterFly’s accreditation after an internal ownership dispute lead to a barrage of customer complaints.

While ICANN was able to force RegisterFly to turn over some of the domain data, it was unable to preserve all of the company’s records because some were kept anonymously.

Meanwhile, ICANN board members meeting in Lisbon said they plan to look into changing the accreditation criteria for domain registrars.

ICANN Vice President Paul Levins said the rules governing domain registrars needed to be updated because they were written at a time when there were few firms offering the service. According to an ICANN figure, more than 800 companies now offer domain registration services.

ICANN said it would consider requiring potential registrar operators to prove a basic level of skill. ICANN also is considering a rule mandating that the agency give approval to any changes in a registrar company’s ownership.

ICANN also said it plans to explore the idea of creating contractual tools short of revoking a registrar’s license to insure compliance.

Other questions raised by the recent demise of RegisterFly are whether ICANN should tolerate anonymous domain registrations and whether the agency should keep a data repository in case of another problem reminiscent of RegisterFly.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More