Bush Administration Proposes Mandatory ISP Record Keeping

WASHINGTON — The Bush Administration proposed Wednesday that all Internet service providers be required to keep records of users uploading images and videos, information they say would be valuable to fight child pornography, terrorism and other crimes.

Justice Department officials met with industry representatives, including AOL and Comcast, in a private meeting to discuss why this sort of data retention is necessary, as well as find out the cost of recording user details for a span of two years.

An attendee of the meeting told CNET News.com that only universities and libraries would be exempt from the regulation.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales supports mandatory data retention, calling it a “national problem that requires federal legislation.” A bill introduced last month would give Gonzales full discretion as to what information must be stored and for how long.

Adult entertainment lawyer Lawrence Walters told XBIZ this regulation has “pros and cons” for the adult industry.

Keeping record of all online activity can aid adult webmasters in obscenity cases. Walters said companies would have documented proof of their content’s acceptability and popularity in different parts of the world, making it impossible for ISPs to prove otherwise in court.

However, Walters also said that the cost of storing so much data, as well as finding space for it, could put “a significant burden” on smaller businesses and potentially exclude them from hosting their own content. It would also negatively impact smaller hosts whose limited budgets would not allow for additional data retention.

Many larger web businesses already store user data for market research and to keep track of which services were used the most and what improvements should be made. Google keeps the information indefinitely, and AOL keeps it for 30 days.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More