Mainstream Film Company Sues Producer Michael Lucas; Lucas Responds

NEW YORK — Filmmaker Andrei Treivas Bregman, known to adult entertainment fans as Michael Lucas, has drawn the ire of International Media Films Inc., which is suing the producer for trademark and copyright infringement.

International Media Films filed suit against Lucas in a U.S. District Court in Manhattan accusing the gay content producer of infringing on its copyright and trademark for the 1960 Federico Fellini film “La Dolce Vita.”

The lawsuit filed Thursday seeks to stop sales of the movies, “Michael Lucas' La Dolce Vita” parts 1 and 2, and to collect unspecified damages.

Lucas released the two films by the same title last year, although he pointed out that the title of the two movies are different because his name appears as part of the title in his version.

“My movie features different characters, situations and a different title,” Lucas said in response to the suit. “Before even investing so much of my company in this movie, I had consulted with lawyers about it in order to avoid violating any laws.”

The New-York-based International Media Films said Lucas’ movie infringes, tarnishes and dilutes its trademark in the Fellini film.

“Will someone confuse my version from Fellini’s? Absolutely not,” Lucas said. “They are sold in ifferent places. You will never see my movie at Barnes & Noble, and you will never see their movie at the adult video stores that sell mine. Even looking at the box covers side by side, you would hardly confuse me with Marcello Mastroianni, and the half-naked kissing guys around my image also will not confuse [anyone] to think that this is a mainstream production.”

Lucas also said that he finds the lawsuit “homophobic” because a straight Italian production used the title “La Dolce Vita” in 2003 but didn’t get sued.

In the end, Lucas believes the suit has no merit and was merely a publicity maneuver by International Media Films. A number of mainstream media outlets like the New York Post and Wall Street Journal have picked up the story since it broke.

La Dolce Vita was released over 40 years ago, “its director and most of the stars are long dead. And now, it is getting enormous free publicity — something I know something about,” Lucas said.

International Media Films acquired the rights to the Fellini film in 2001. The movie won the 1961 Academy Award for costume design and the New York Film Critics Circle gave it the award for Best Foreign Film of that year.

The Fellini film, which follows the life of a tabloid journalist, is most famous for introducing the word “paparazzi” into the lexicon.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More