Consumer Version of Oculus Rift Is Coming in Early 2016

SAN FRANCISCO — Oculus VR announced today that it has a shipping window for the consumer version of virtual reality helmet Oculus Rift — the first quarter of 2016.

Oculus VR said it will begin accepting pre-orders later this year, and additional information will be announced in the coming weeks.

The consumer version supports seated and standing "experiences," and has "updated ergonomics" to make it more comfortable to wear, the company said. So far, Oculus VR has shipped two developer prototype virtual reality helmets.

According to reports, the most recent prototype that was made available for developers as the Development Kit 2, better known as  DK2. It was released in July 2014 for $350.

News of a consumer launch is good news for the adult entertainment industry and porn fans who are about to get their first glimpse of sexual freedom’s new reality.

One company has placed a large bet on Oculus Rift and virtual reality, a market that is forecast to reach $30 billion in revenue by 2020, according to Digi-Capital.

Brian Shuster, CEO and founder of Red Light Center and Utherverse, disclosed earlier this year that his company invested $40 million making Red Light Center 2.0, a 3D-animated online sex club, now compatible with Oculus Rift, the goggles at the forefront of the movement for virtual reality.

Shuster, a noted technologist, spoke at the XBIZ 360 Digital Media Conference earlier this year to offer his view on what he see as the next-biggest technological leap — the marriage of virtual reality, teledildonics and haptic devices.

“The paradigm shift of change is going to be so profound it will be larger than anything humans have ever experienced,” Shuster said. “When you are immersed in a virtual reality headset what you’ll be seeing are real people. And you’ll be able to touch, interact, hug, dance and have sex.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More