Forecast Sees Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality to Hit $150B by 2020

LOS ANGELES — A new report released today says that virtual reality and augmented reality markets are poised for a huge slice of the digital pie.

According to Digi-Capital, the virtual reality and augmented reality market could hit $150 billion in revenue by 2020.

The Internet consulting firm said that augmented reality will take the lion’s share in the forecast at about $120 billion and virtual reality at $30 billion.

The forecast said that augmented reality market has more potential because it is less invasive than virtual reality headsets that need to be strapped to users’ faces.

The Digi-Capital report bolsters hope for what many in the adult entertainment industry see as the next-biggest technological leap — the marriage of virtual reality, teledildonics and haptic devices.

At XBIZ 360 earlier this year, Brian Shuster, who founded Utherverse, perhaps best known as the parent of the Red Light Center virtual world, said that the conventional adult entertainment industry needs to take a clear look into the crystal ball.

“This year promises to usher in the beginning of the most significant new technological changes to the adult industry since the introduction of the World Wide Web in the mid-1990s,” Shuster said. “These sweepingly disruptive innovations and products will open the doors for new opportunities, but they will also lay waste to many established business models and companies.”

Digi-Capital said there are pluses and minuses for hardware in perspective of the current virtual and augmented reality titans, like Oculus Rift and perhaps Apple’s future roll out.

“Facebook placed an early bet on Oculus, which might win virtual reality but not address the larger AR market. Google learned from Glass, and had the foresight to invest in Magic Leap,” according to Tim Merel, managing director of Digi-Capital. “HoloLens could allow Microsoft to regain the glory it lost to Apple in the last decade. And Apple? We would love to see an augmented 'One more thing .…'”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Show More