Kremen Loses Antitrust Case

SAN FRANCISCO — A U.S. District Court has dealt a blow to Gary Kremen, the original owner of the controversial Sex.com domain, in his antitrust case against the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN).

Kremen, who filed suit against ARIN in April of last year acted too late, Judge James Ware said in his order to dismiss the case for failure to comply with the relevant statute of limitations.

The case against ARIN, which acts as a regional Internet registry, allocating blocks of IP addresses throughout North America, began as effort to enforce Ware’s 2001 court order to return Kremen’s hijacked URLs in the now infamous Sex.com litigation.

In April 2001 Kremen won a judgment against Stephen Cohen for stealing Sex.com. In his recent suit against ARIN, Kremen claimed that since the 2001 judgment, ARIN’s failure to turn over control of the Sex.com URL, as well as 5,000 additional domain names, thwarted his efforts to pursue various business strategies. The suit also charged that ARIN’s refusal to comply with Ware’s order allowed Cohen to unjustly benefit from his theft.

Kremen has sued ARIN for $15 million in compensatory damages and an additional $45 million in punitive damages — the maximum allowed under U.S. antitrust laws.

Ware granted the defendant’s motion to dismiss with prejudice.

Kremen told XBIZ he was appealing the court’s ruling, which he called a technicality.

Boston-based Escom purchased Sex.com in January 2006 for a reported $14 million.

In the meantime, Kremen’s legal battle against Cohen continues, with the domain hijacker now free by order of Judge Ware to gather documents that would enable him to pay the $65 million judgment against him.

To read the court document, click here.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More